Location: Sparx Head Office in Exeter
Term: Full time, Permanent
Salary: Competitive, dependent on experience
Reports to: CEO and work closely with the Customer team
Sparx is a research-based educational technology company. We are using technology, data and real-world observations to investigate the way young people learn. Sparx is about helping to create a society that is equipped with the skills to solve the problems the world is facing. We are creating rapidly scalable and affordable structures which improve motivation and learning and are developed and proven using rigorous scientific methods. Our aim is to improve the lives of 1 million people through education over the coming few years.
The Communications Manager will play a key role in helping to position Sparx as a leading research-based education technology company. Overseeing our external facing communications, building relationships with schools, education organisations and other related stakeholders, and manage the Sparx brand to ensure a consistent message is communicated.
- Oversee all external communications on a day-to-day basis ensuring that Sparx’s profile is managed effectively and with care.
- Write and deliver a communications action plan linked to Sparx’s overarching communications and marketing strategy
- Manage the use of the brand working closely with the Content, Creative and Product teams to ensure the brand and messaging is communicated consistently in everything.
- Take control of the website and manage updates including publishing blogs, uploading images, and updating copy.
- Continue the development of the Sparx brand by managing the production and distribution of collateral including video, publications, brochures, images and banners.
- Write marketing copy for the website and collateral aimed at a range of audiences including schools, education stakeholders and the corporate community
- Manage production of e-newsletters and other updates, planning and drafting content, organising signoff and publication, and monitoring results.
- Oversee the work of third party agencies
- Work with the CEO on a range of communications projects such as redeveloping the website.
- Prepare reports for the CEO tracking marketing and communication activities and reporting on effectiveness
- Manage the contact database and ensure it is compliant with GDPR
Schools liaison and education community
- Work with the Customer team to support the on-boarding of new customer schools and multi academy trusts.
- Build and nurture relationships with customer schools to establish a community between Sparx schools.
- Manage our programme of school events hosted at Oxygen House.
- Source, research and write case studies and testimonials and build links with a small group of Sparx advocates who can act as spokespeople.
- Manage relationships with the wider education community ensuring that Sparx’s profile is managed effectively and with care.
Undertake any other duties commensurate with the responsibilities of the post, as requested.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- A minimum of five years’ experience in a similar role, ideally within the education sector.
- Expertise in all aspects of communications including relationship management, stakeholder communications and advocate development.
- Solid understanding of brand management and marketing collateral.
- Excellent copywriting skills and experience of creating copy for a wide range of audiences.
- Experience of managing a website using a CMS including image manipulation and page creation.
- Experience in coordinating a range of events.
- Ability to manage a busy workload and prioritise activities sensibly.
- Comfortable working in a fast moving and dynamic organisation with an ability to adapt to change and react quickly to new priorities.
- A strong team player with proven experience of building relationships across teams.
- Confident and clear communicator with good presentation skills.
- Able to develop ideas, show initiative and apply strong problem solving skills
- Highly proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office especially PowerPoint and Excel.
- Degree educated or equivalent work experience.
- Experience within the Education sector.
- CIPR or CIM qualified/chartered.
- Skilled in image manipulation and design using packages such as Photoshop or InDesign.
- Experience of developing customer communities and product advocates.
- Understanding of digital marketing including content marketing, social media, and SEO.
If you are looking for a unique opportunity to work among bright, passionate and ambitious peers whilst being led by a visionary management team with an appetite for achieving great things then Sparx is for you.
Our diverse and vibrant team is growing fast! We’re not just developers, data scientist, product owners, content or education experts – we’re also cyclists, DJs, triathletes, published scholars, parents, pet owners, musicians, adventurers, and more. We bring our whole selves to work, and we’re united by our belief in the transformative power of learning and excitement about tackling the hard problems in technology.
Based in one of the best workspaces in the country, we set clear and challenging goals, collaborate together, celebrate success and have the opportunity to learn from each other every day. We encourage everyone to stretch beyond their roles and deliver on our mission to improve lives through education.