Job Title: Design Manager
Location: Pynes Hill, Exeter
Salary: £27,000 per annum dependent on experience
Position: Full Time, Fixed-Term Maternity Cover (expected for 6-9 months)
The company, a major online retailer of craft materials and publisher of market-leading craft books, requires an experienced Design Manager to lead a small but energetic team in all aspects of the company's visual output.
The Design Manager has overall responsibility for art direction and design for a programme of 10-15 new book titles annually, plus additional design requirements for the Publishing business. In addition, the role is has overall responsibility for the visual aspects of three eCommerce websites, all in the craft arena.
Publishing tasks include:
- Attending planning meetings to determine design and photography requirements.
- Art direction and styling of photography, sourcing props and locations to budget.
- Overview of publishing design workload and schedules.
- Allocation of design work within team, commissioning and managing freelance designers, art directors, illustrators and photographers where necessary.
- Managing design and photography budgets.
- Providing visuals for sales materials and notifying sales teams of their availability.
- Designing books to include advance spreads, full book layouts and jacket artwork.
- Liaising with Editorial to update on schedule deviation.
- Liaising with Production and Pre-press to finalise print files and approve proofs and plotters.
- Managing reprint design corrections in liaison with Editorial.
- Designing trade catalogues, exhibition stands and trade sales materials.
eCommerce tasks include:
- Designing web, email and social media graphics.
- Managing Design planner and allocation of design work within team.
- Developing and maintaining briefing process, working with Marketing team.
- Designing consumer mail-order catalogues.
- Work with Photographer to produce quality images for marketing of products, along with images for websites and marketing materials.
- Kit and packaging concepts.
- At least 2 years' commercial design experience in a busy creative environment.
- Experience of design leadership for both print and web (web design is not required, just graphics for web).
- Strong styling and design skills that reflect current design trends.
- Meticulous attention to detail and quality control.
- In-depth knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud programs including InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and Bridge.
- Experience of managing multiple design jobs on differing schedules.
- Ability to interpret briefs and brand guidelines to create first-rate, on-brand visuals.
- Proven managerial skills with experience of managing in-house designers and freelancers.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- A high level of productivity.
- Experience of cloud-based file management systems, such as Google Drive.
- Experience of content or asset management systems.
- An interest in crafts.
The role is full-time, based in Pynes Hill, Exeter, for a fixed-term contract to cover maternity leave.
Please apply with CV, covering letter and link to online portfolio/examples of your commercial design work by clicking the APPLY button.
Candidates with experience of; Graphic Designer, Digital Designer, Graphical Designer, Adobe Designer, Digital Design Executive, Photoshop Designer, InDesign Designer, Adobe Manager, Illustrator, Illustrator Designer, Marketing Designer, Magazine Designer, Design Manager will also be considered for this role.