7 days ago
Head of Data Protection Governance- Milton Keynes
Head of Data Protection Governance- Milton Keynes
South East England
Turn big plans for your career into action
We have an exciting opportunity for a Head of Data Protection Governance to join our team in Milton Keynes.
The role holder will be responsible for working with the Santander UK Data Protection Officer (DPO) to develop, embed and periodically review Santander’s Data Protection strategy. They will be responsible for driving the execution of the strategy and for ensuring that Santander is able to comply with the new GDPR accountability principle.
Leading a team of Subject Matter Experts, the role holder will be responsible for the day-to-day management of Santander UK’s Data Protection Governance function within the Data Protection Office, converting the Data Protection strategy into clearly defined objectives and goals, and reporting to the Santander UK DPO. The role holder will be required to build relationships with key internal stakeholders to understand the needs of the business and with external bodies such as the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).
We’re passionate about helping people and businesses prosper and we strive to be simple, personal and fair in everything we do. That’s why we’ve built a culture of respect, where everyone is empowered to keep their promises and go above-and-beyond for our customers, colleagues and the communities we serve.
As a Head of Data Protection Governance your main responsibilities will be
* Building and managing relationships with key cross-functional stakeholders within Santander and its subsidiaries as well as with external bodies e.g. UK Finance and the ICO
* Embedding the Data Protection policy and strategy into business functions and providing advice and guidance on data protection-related policies to ensure that divisional business policies are consistent with data protection legislation
* Periodically reviewing and recommending updates to the Data Protection strategy and Data Protection Governance Framework as required to ensure they remain fit-for-purpose in terms of compliance and practicality for the business
* Managing the collection, collation and analysis of performance data for key data protection performance metrics, identifying high-level trends, risks and issues and escalating any weaknesses and areas for improvement. Providing regular reports and updates on external and internal issues for all areas of Santander including senior management
* Overseeing the handling of ICO complaints and any data protection related incidents that are escalated to the DPO team
* Working with the DPO to set up and embed the new Santander UK Data Privacy Network throughout Santander providing training and updates on a regular basis. Reviewing the effectiveness of the Network and making changes as and when required
* Managing the DPO team’s involvement in the Data Protection Impact Assessment (DPIA) process and the creation and maintenance of the register of processing activities and the payment of fees due to the ICO
Minimum skills and experience required
* Relevant academic qualifications, e.g. university degree or legal qualification and / or relevant experience. Recognised data protection qualification such as ISEB or CIPP/E is highly desirable
* Knowledge of current data protection legislation (Data Protection Act 1998), and proposed changes to it (General Data Protection Regulation / Data Protection Bill), is essential, as is experience of working in a role where implementing data protection measures is a day-to-day requirement
* Good interpersonal skills and experience of leading a team of data protection or compliance/governance professionals is desirable
* Broad and deep understanding of the banking and financial services industry, and the ability to analyse and evaluate complex issues, and display sound judgement in determining appropriate actions / recommended solutions
* Computer literacy; as a minimum a good knowledge of standard ‘office’ productivity tools (e.g. Microsoft Office suite). Ability to use Office tools to produce management reports, for example, data analysis and manipulation in Microsoft Excel
Salary is competitive
For your commitment and success, Santander offers a competitive basic salary with a distinct career development opportunity. In addition to your salary and bonus, we offer you a benefits package that’s flexible and allows you to be in control, as well as all the policies, tools and guidance to support you.
Other Santander benefits include:
* Pension with generous contributions from Santander
* 30 days’ holiday plus bank holidays, with the option to purchase up to 5 contractual days per year
* £6,000 car allowance per year
* Company funded Individual Private medical Insurance
* Voluntary healthcare benefits at discounted rates such as private Medical insurance for your family, Dental insurance, Healthcare Cash Plan and Health assessments
* 24/7 access to an online employee discount platform. Save money on everything from groceries, electronics, fashion, holidays and much more
* Benefits supporting you and your family, such as Childcare vouchers, voluntary Life assurance and Critical illness cover
* Access to an All Employee car scheme
* Excellent employee recognition schemes, be recognised for demonstrating great behaviours
* Share in Santander’s success by investing in our Sharesave and Partnership shares plans
* Support your favourite causes through charitable giving and our community partnerships
You’ll be based in one of our biggest offices in the UK, right in the heart of Milton Keynes, home to a range of key functions including Marketing, Finance and Risk and conveniently located only a short walking distance from Milton Keynes Central rail station and Shopping Centre. Offering an onsite gym, restaurant, coffee shop and banking facilities, the atmosphere is a vibrant one with plenty of opportunities to socialise and get involved in local community and charity work.
We’ll give you more than a job, we’ll give you a purpose – to help people and businesses prosper.
Our aim is to be the best bank for our people, customers, shareholders and communities and we’re making it happen by focusing on the behaviours that bring everyone together. By bringing passion, talking straight, embracing change, showing respect, speaking up, keeping promises, giving support, truly listening and actively collaborating, we believe we can really make a difference.
We’ve created an environment where we always put people first, that’s why we offer flexible work options to help you do your job in a way that suits you. Whatever your unique ambitions, you’ll have plenty of room to grow, with tailored training and development opportunities and a wide range of benefits designed to suit your lifestyle. What’s more, we’ll also support you in making a difference through our volunteering and fundraising schemes. Our commitment to our people hasn’t gone unnoticed and we’ve been listed as one of Britain’s Top Employers by the Top Employers Institute since 2012.
Time to apply
If this sounds like a role you’re interested in then please apply on the link below.