4 months ago
The world’s biggest motorcycle media brand, Motor Cycle News, has a new opportunity for a Senior Online Reporter to join its ever-expanding digital portfolio.
MCN’s reputation and scale are second-to-none, and you could be a key part of further enhancing its market-leading position. We’re looking for someone who can bring fresh ideas, boundless enthusiasm, and a committed team focus to add to our existing capabilities. This is an opportunity for you to help MCN grow our online communities – and for our business to help you develop your career.
The key elements of the role are listed below, but it’s important to note that we’re looking for a team player who is also a self-motivated go-getter, and someone who can represent our brand in a professional manner within the industry and with our audience. The perfect applicant will be able to demonstrate a great wealth of industry knowledge, understand how to bring the fun and engagement to often complex content, and who can demonstrate their proven record of top-quality, published editorial content.
MCN is the go-to source for motorcycle fanatics, and as such you will need both an expansive knowledge and understanding of motorcycles and of what makes the digital world tick. If you think you can step-up to the plate and play a crucial creative role in MCN’s continued growth – apply now.
Key tasks and responsibilities
* Responsible for hour-by-hour content editing and publishing on Motorcyclenews.com
* Responsible for curating and maintaining social media content on all active MCN platforms
* Participate in personal and MCN-branded social media to promote MCN on Facebook, Twitter and other emerging platforms
* Use Google Analytics and data to transform our editorial operation
* Creates, sources and writes industry news for the website
* Continue to develop all website sections including Product reviews, New Rider and execute successfully
* To view the website as a whole and be able to think functionally about new development ideas
* Develop relationships with key industry personnel and PRs in order to ensure MCN is first with key stories across our disparate platforms
* Manage newsletter programme across the brand
* Establish a wide knowledge of the industry, attending and reporting from events where needed
* Ensuring evergreen web content is nurtured
* Attend fortnightly meetings to discuss new ideas and website improvements
* Produce/shoot video content where needed (or willing to be trained to do so)
* Monitor reader correspondence – on emails, via phone calls, in comments, on social channels – and respond appropriately
* Think commercially to ensure the correct interactions with advertising, commercial, marketing and events teams are made
* Support the Online Editor in proofing editorial copy
Key qualities and skills
* Enthusiasm, imagination and a notebook full of ideas are all essential
* In-depth knowledge of the motorcycle industry
* Act as an ambassador for MCN and Bauer Xcel at all times
* Strong contacts in the field are highly welcomed
* Knowledge of SEO, social media and web publishing/CMS
* Published evidence that you’ve covered motorcycling news stories and engaging features for websites
* Understanding how to cater for commercial editorial copy
* Excellent writing skills with the ability to deliver vibrant and clean copy
* Thorough planning and organisation skills and the ability to multi-task are a must
* The ability to work in a team, with accuracy and speed under pressure
* Can also initiate new ideas for work flow and be able to plan ahead and keep in mind things like future events
* An understanding of media law, ethical considerations and the IPSO code
* Understands trends in the digital world
* Be prepared to work outside office hours as necessary (to accommodate embargoes, launch times or motorcycle shows)
* Take on any other tasks that are required by Bauer Xcel as and when requested
* Attend MCN or Bauer Xcel meetings as required (editorial or whole company)
* Maintain a high level of professionalism in all areas of work
This full-time position is based in Media House, Lynchwood, Peterborough, PE2 6EA. Bauer Media offers a competitive salary, career progression and a range of benefits associated with working for a global publishing business.