11 months ago
Analytics Implementation Specialist
More information about this job
The Economist Group logo
The Economist is a leading source of analysis on international business and world affairs, published weekly in print and digital editions, and daily through our Espresso app and Economist.com. We deliver our information through a range of formats, from newspapers and magazines to conferences, films and digital editions. What ties us together is the objectivity of our opinion, the originality of our insight and our advocacy of economic and political freedom around the world.
The Economist’s Insight and Data Science team is seeking someone who understands the inner workings of digital analytics. As a Digital Analytics Specialist you will own the implementation of tracking across our entire digital product line. You will be responsible for making sure we are tracking the right things, in the right way and using the resulting data correctly.
We are currently in the process of rapidly expanding our data capabilities at The Economist, with the aim of providing unified, high-quality data to the entire business. Making sure we have clear and accurate data about the behaviour of users of our digital products is therefore essential. Having previously worked with commercial tracking providers, especially Adobe Analytics, we are now in the process of building an in-house analytics system based on Snowplow and Amazon Redshift.
The Analytics Implementation Specialist will play a key part in this transition as the owner of the design and specifications of the data layer and event formats which are used to record data from our digital products. Day-to-day tasks will include gathering requirements for new pieces of tracking; maintaining and updating specification documents; helping developers correctly implement data layers and tracking code; and working with the data platform team to maintain the SQL statements that convert the raw data into a form usable by analysts.
In this role you would be expected to:
* Own our digital analytics implementation both within the data team and externally
* Ensure the needs of the analytics system are understood, documented and validated, drawing on your experience to help refine requirements
* Amend and enhance our data layer and tracking specifications
* Work with internal and external development resources to deliver the implementations
* Work with the platform team and analysts to ensure the SQL-based data models can accommodate evolving reporting requirements
* Validate data at all stages of this process to ensure that data is of high quality
* Make recommendations on tracking best practice to analysts and development teams
Experience, skills and professional attributes
To succeed in the role you must have:
* Knowledge of tracking/analytics systems
* The ability to understand complex technical systems with many components from end-to-end
* The ability to think logically about the flow of data through a system
* The ability to communicate technical concepts to a wide range of people from different backgrounds, such as developers, analyst and marketers
* The ability and desire to expand your skills to fill any gaps
* Prior experience with either Adobe Analytics or Snowplow would be beneficial but are not essential
To succeed in the role you must demonstrate:
* Excellent communication skills when dealing with a wide range of stakeholders
* Meticulous attention to detail
* Ability to work as part of a team
* A professional, polite and positive demeanour
* A technical mindset
* Ability to collate information from many sources into well written documentation
The skills required for this job are broad, it would be very useful to have some experience of how analytics systems work in practice. However, we believe the main requirements for this role are an ability to understand a complex technical system from end-to-end, excellent attention to detail and strong written and verbal communications skills. For example, this role might be appropriate for a developer who has worked on related implementations and wishes to move in a new direction, or for someone who has worked on other analytics systems and wishes to expand their technical skills.
If this role matches your skills, experience and motivations then please submit your CV with a covering note identifying why you feel you would be a great addition to the team along with your salary expectations.
In return, we provide a supportive and progressive environment with a wide range of opportunities for you to grow both personally and professionally.
The Economist Group values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, colour, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age.