6 months ago
ENDS Europe is Europe’s environmental news service, reporting on EU and European government environmental policy making as it happens for an international audience of policy makers, policy influencers and industrial regulatory and sustainability managers.
The challenge is to produce politically astute, factual, news stories that take the subscriber inside the Brussels policy-making process, contextualising stories within existing policy frameworks, and explaining likely impacts and future implications in order to maintain ENDS Europe’s position as an expert and premium news service.
The Assistant Editor is ENDS Europe’s senior writer and second in command, assisting the Editor at all times and deputising during absences.
The Assistant Editor should write news articles and other content as required, including:
• Monitor widely for news and generate off diary news
• Propose and implement news ideas
• Research stories through reading and interviews
• Write relevant, timely news articles
• Check facts to ensure accuracy
• Respect ENDS Europe’s style guidelines
• Reflect ENDS Europe’s commitment to independence and impartiality
• Be aware of the political and economic context of stories
• Communicate the ENDS Europe brand and content through social media platforms
The Assistant Editor should assist the Editor at all times, managing aspects of day-to-day content delivery on request.
The Assistant Editor should deputise for the Editor during absences, managing all aspects of content delivery, including:
• Set and maintain the highest possible editorial standards
• Ensure all content is produced on time and on budget, with appropriate quality control
• Take responsibility for stylistic or legal issues arising from content
• Establish and manage effective forward planning systems for all content
• Generate and/or manage content ideas
• Set high standards of behaviour, attitude, professionalism and commitment
Reporting and relationships
The Assistant Editor reports to the ENDS Europe Editor. The Assistant Editor should forge a close and supportive relationship with editorial colleagues. The Assistant Editor should make and cultivate extensive contacts with external stakeholders.
• Writing, literacy and visual skills
• Time management and decision-making skills
• Communication skills
• Understanding of the product’s market and audience
• Ability to build and maintain high-level contacts
• Excellent understanding of media law
• Good awareness of online developments
• Creativity and flair
• Computer literacy
• Language skills (particularly French and/or German)
• Understanding of European environmental policy process.
• Knowledge of or familiarity with all important EU environmental policy areas (carbon, renewables, waste, pollution, chemicals, water, transport)
Apply for this job