10 months ago
Assistant Financial Accountant
* Assistant Financial Accountant
* Saga Group Ltd
* 24/07/2018 22:59
Salary Up To
Job Description Summary
When you join Saga we welcome you with open arms and we fuel your career possibilities. We support. We encourage. We champion you to reach your full potential.
This role is an important part of the Finance team who strive to facilitate, to help and support the Group function of the business.
Reporting to the Financial Accountant, you will support the Financial Control Function of Saga Group; this role will involve assisting with the end of month balance sheet reconciliations and the provision of data for some of the relevant statutory and internal financial reporting requirements, including National Statistics and VAT.
You will be a self-starter with good initiative and the ability to work independently with minimal oversight. You will be keen to either kick-start or further your finance career and work towards become a qualified accountant.
And in return, you can look forward to all of the responsibility and involvement of an integral role, providing you with a rewarding and fast paced career with an excellent benefits package including life assurance, pension, high street and online discounts, and concessions for holidays and travel.
Please note, this role offers the opportunity to study for a recognised finance qualification.
• Complete balance sheet reconciliations for Saga Group, Retirement Villages, Saga Publishing and Saga Membership including any relevant month end postings.
• Proactively monitor and review controls and administer the Group Finance risk register.
• Build excellent working relationships with Finance staff across the group to ensure any issues are resolved quickly and efficiently.
• Complete all Office of National Statistic requests for review by the Financial Accountant.
• Maintain the Group Fixed Asset Register.
• Assist in the provision of information to the Group’s external auditors.
• Provide ad-hoc support to the rest of the team, as and when required.
• To maintain Dream including nominal management.
• To assist in the completion of all Tax computations including VAT returns.
• To assist in the preparation of Statutory accounts.
• Assist with annual P11D and PSA returns.
• Maintain the Group invoice authority matrix.
• To complete all intercompany transactions on a monthly basis.
• Support a ‘One Saga’ team environment to ensure that silo behaviour is not entrenched. Support the team’s Financial Accountant to identify areas of risk or lack of resilience. Proactive approach to sharing knowledge and understanding issues within the wider Group finance team.
Capability, Knowledge and Experience:
• Strong numerical skills and the ability to quickly digest detailed financial information.
• Excellent personal effectiveness and time management skills.
• Demonstrate a solid grasp of double entry.
• Experience of building excellent working relationships, with both finance and non-finance colleagues.
• Demonstrate a professional manner, good academic and mental abilities, good inter-personal skills, understand the importance of deadlines and be willing to work towards achieving them;
Education and Qualifications:
• Educated to a degree level or AAT finalist with a desire to start ACCA.
• Excellent analytical skills.
• Self-starter with good initiative.
• Good communication skills, both verbal and through presentation of written data.
• A good team player who is also well able to work independently when required.
• Motivated and passionate about delivering a quality output.
When you join Saga you will see that we are committed to treating all employees fairly and to offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement.
We value diversity not just because it is the right thing to do, but because diverse teams perform better. Creating a culture in which everyone feels welcome and offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement is incredibly important to us. Fair consideration is given to applications from all applicants, including those with disabilities. If you need support at any point with your application please let us know as we will be happy to help.
To all recruitment agencies: Saga does not accept agency CVs unless specifically engaged on the role by the HR Recruitment Team. Please do not forward CVs to our recruiters, employees or any other company location. Saga is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited CVs.