3 months ago
Creative Director, BBC Good Food
Overall Job Purpose
BBC Good Food - Britain’s no.1 food media brand - is looking for the most dynamic and experienced Creative Director in the business to take Good Food to even greater heights. This heritage, trusted brand comprises the market-leading monthly food magazine, award-winning bbcgoodfood.com, BBC Good Food Shows and books. This is a cross-format role, directing and managing the design and visual identity across the entire Good Food brand, and ensuring the quality of its execution across all formats, existing and new.
Innovation is key to Good Food so the role requires strong leadership on new processes, platform changes, and emerging technologies. You will have a clear vision for Good Food, be an excellent communicator and positive influence on your team.
* Responsible for setting the design and visual identity across the entire Good Food brand and ensuring that it is consistently applied on all platforms, including print, digital and live events.
* Overall responsibility for the visual representation (e.g. styling, still photography, video, etc) of all content. Oversee the quality of design and images across the brand to ensure brand consistency.
* Oversee food shoot requirements for the brand, covering digital, print and live requests.
* Initiate, contribute to and approve the conception and development of creative ideas for the brand, particularly their visual identity.
* Responsible for successfully positioning brand visual identity within an ecommerce/retail setting.
* Investigate new technology and advise on new possibilities for BBC Good Food.
* Manage a team of cross-platform designers, in-house photographer and picture editor.
* Liaise with the digital design and UX team and external agencies, as required.
Control of budget, print and production values
* Manage, with the Editor-in-Chief, the content budget. Advise the Editor-in-Chief on more cost-effective and efficient use of design and picture resources across the brand.
* Monitor and, where necessary, consult with the relevant production department on the quality of print and reproduction on Good Food-branded products.
Knowledge, Experience & Competencies
* Significant experience within a commercial media design environment, including hands-on experience (using InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Sketch, commissioning and art directing photo shoots, hiring full-time and freelance creative personnel, plus knowledge of print production techniques and processes).
* Experience of dealing with world-class consumer brands.
* Experience of working with cross-format design.
* Good understanding and knowledge of video production and editing software.
* A digital-first approach to designing assets and ability to repurpose content across platforms.
* Solid understanding of mobile-first design requirements.
* Solid understanding of and sensitivity to UX and UI design process.
* Experience of commissioning and art directing photographic shoots (both stills and videos), especially food shoots.
* Great contacts, both new and established, including photographers, stylists and designers.
* Experience in managing design teams and commissioning design projects.
* Accustomed to initiating and leading effective brainstorming sessions.
* Good communication skills, including the ability to relate design concepts, negotiate internally and externally and advise and promote design policy.
* The ability to protect and incorporate visual identity and design values into commercial proposals and business processes.
* Experience and understanding of the current commercial environment and the ability to produce content and create product accordingly.