5 months ago
We’re Sky, Europe’s biggest entertainment brand. Think top-quality shows. Breaking news. Innovative tech. Must-have products. Careers here mean the freedom and support you need to make an impact – pushing boundaries, creating solutions, hitting targets. And as part of our close-knit team, you’ll enjoy plenty of benefits. Plus, experiences you’ll only find at Sky.
In an uncertain world, our teams at Sky News provide a world-class rolling news service that takes you straight to the stories that shape our world. Coupled with a spirit of innovation, integrity and a fresh approach that puts people at the centre of everything we do, our aim is to be the best and most trusted place for news. Our people have helped us build a well-known reputation for being the first to break major news by being bold, rebellious and not afraid to challenge each other.
Sky Q, a generous pension and private health care. Access to over 12,000 LinkedIn Learning courses to support your development. And if that’s not enough, our award-winning Osterley campus boasts six subsidised restaurants, a cinema, gym, and much more.
To find out more about working with us, search #LifeatSky on LinkedIn, Twitter or Instagram.
Sky News is recruiting an experienced journalist to run our team of mobile and social video producers as we refocus our digital strategy in 2019.
This is a pivotal role with a mandate to shape the editorial and visual direction of Sky News video across all owned and operated platforms, as well as premium social and distributed channels, using new formats and opportunities. The right candidate must have demonstrable experience of publishing content on social platforms, especially Snapchat, YouTube, Facebook and Twitter.
The successful candidate will have a deep knowledge of global video trends, experience of commissioning, producing and editing distinctive and innovative video projects and overseeing a talented team of team of dedicated designers, journalists, video editors and producers. You will be able to produce reports underpinned by an understanding of audience development, which will help inform the decision to allocate resources.
This role will require someone with a proven track record in leadership, ensuring people have the correct training, tools and equipment to do their job effectively.
Your technical knowledge of editing software and industry best-practice is as important as your journalistic credentials.
As a member of the Digital team within Sky News, you’ll help drive our mobile and social video strategy:
- Commission and oversee bespoke and optimised digital video content, ensuring video journalists are producing compelling, innovative content
- Take ownership and accountability for the look and feel, editorial quality and relevance of digital video content to align with our 2019 digital strategy.
- Ensure that all content reflects the Sky News values
- Develop video formats to increase growth, consumption and engagement on key distributed social platforms
- Develop planning processes to ensure all content is delivered to the highest standard across 7 days, 24 hours a day
- Work in tandem with Output Editors and News Editors to ensure accuracy and legal rigour is maintained to the highest standards
- Take responsibility for the line management of a number of production staff, including their training and development
- Influence the behaviour of others by leading by example
- Raise performance by supporting and challenging people, building a fair and consistent performance and development culture across the department
- Support your line manager and the rest of your team by understanding the wider Sky News strategy and by feeding appropriate suggestions for team objectives
- Motivation and creativity
- Experience demonstrating working in a quick-paced, high-pressured news environment with tight deadlines
- A calm, detailed and methodical approach to work
- The ability to work well with staff at all levels to ensure goals are met
- A team ethic that reflects teamwork, collaboration, adaptability and initiative
- A strong work ethic and a willingness to get involved in all aspects of the business
- Adept at producing first-class news content with expert knowledge of video editing software
- Deep knowledge of technical and troubleshooting of premium video editing software, representing the senior management in the development of workplace tools and workstations
- Experience working within complex and multidimensional work environments
- People management – this role will have line management responsibility
- In-depth knowledge of the news media, emerging technologies, changing audience behaviour and new platforms
- Strong understanding of audience behaviour and demonstrable understanding of how to create compelling content services that meet or exceed their demands
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Strong planning and organisational skills
So, what are you waiting for? now for a chance to forge your own career path and be brilliant as part of a bright, talented team.
Just so you know: if your application is successful, your appointment will be subject to receiving a positive outcome from your criminal record check.
We’re happy to discuss flexible working.
It’s our people that make Sky Europe’s leading entertainment company. That’s why we work hard to be an inclusive employer, so everyone at Sky can be their best.
If you are successful in your application for this role, your appointment will be subject to receiving a positive outcome from your Criminal Record Check.
A job you love to talk about
Believe in better