3 months ago
Job Summary & Purpose
We’re looking for a skilled and driven digital journalist with an interest in field sports and a talent for creating engaging online content to take on this exciting role working across Future’s portfolio of Field Sports websites.
Reporting to the Group Managing Editor, as Digital Editor you will be responsible for generating content for the websites of leading magazines such as Airgun Shooter and Clay Shooting. In addition to writing original content you’ll also be required to get relevant content from the magazine archive online and update existing content. Strong knowledge of social media and newsletters is also essential because you’ll be the digital native setting the agenda for the Field Sports brands on a daily basis.
You’ll need to have your finger on the pulse to ensure the websites are always up to date and, in many cases, ahead of the curve. Consequently, you’ll need to develop strong industry contacts and fantastic organisational skills; a talent for writing sharp, quality content; strong SEO knowledge or the ability to learn quickly, as well as the ability to adapt while working in a fast-paced and ambitious environment.
Key role responsibilities
* Creating original news and feature-based content for the Field Sports websites
* De-archiving content from the Field Sports magazines and publishing it online
* Maintaining the social media channels for the Field Sports brands
* Creating the weekly email newsletters for the Field Sports brands
* Ensuring the audience for this digital content is maximised in line with best practice SEO
* Liaising with editors of the print magazines in Field Sports to source additional content and capitalise on trends
* Monitoring performance of articles and social media posts to assess what content is most effective
* Updating existing articles on the websites, ensuring they remain relevant and rank highly
* Assisting the brand teams by keeping the Field Sports websites up to date with the latest marketing messages around new magazine issues, subscriptions, and events
Essential skills and experience
* Proven ability to write high quality engaging content
* Interest in and a passion for field sports
* An understanding of SEO best practices and the ability to quickly develop these skills
* Ability to use Google Analytics to report on and inform content strategies
* Knowledge and experience of content management systems
* Knowledge and experience of social media platforms
* Knowledge and experience of creating newsletters
* Able to interpret and use audience behavioural data
* Excellent communication skills between both PR and internal contacts
* Able to represent Future brands externally at events and launches when relevant
Future’s Field Sports group comprises a range of specialist B2C and B2B brands delivering passion and expertise across a number of specialist sectors including airgun shooting, archery, clay shooting and rifle shooting. We reach consumers across a range of channels including consumer specialist magazines, trade periodicals, websites, social media channels and video broadcasts.
Future plc is an international publishing and media group, and a leading digital business. Founded in 1985 with one magazine, today we have offices in London, Bath, Bournemouth, Bromsgrove, New York, San Francisco and Sydney. At Future we believe in teamwork that transcends location.
Future is a global platform for specialist media with scalable, diversified brands. We strive to create fans of our brands by giving them a place where they want to spend their time, where they go to meet their needs; continuing to create loyal communities. We are expanding our global reach through organic growth, acquisitions and strategic partnerships while diversifying our monetisation models to create significant revenue streams.
Our focus is in the core areas of consumer technology, games & entertainment, music, knowledge & science, field sports, home interests and photography & design. At Future, we’re constantly innovating and we are passionate about what we do!
Behind our titles is a team of world-class editorial, creative and tech talent working together to connect, inspire and entertain our global audience. Sitting alongside are a team of business specialists, commercial and enabling functions who support every aspect of Future’s operations.
With superbrands such as PC Gamer, TechRadar, GamesRadar+, MusicRadar & TeamRock, Future’s digital properties complement its print portfolio, reaching millions of unique visitors globally each month. We have successful and growing revenue streams in international licensing, contract publishing, eCommerce and a rich portfolio of events.