5 months ago
Digital Media and Technology Lawyer (16 month fixed term contract)
Overall Job Purpose
You’ll be part of a highly-skilled, dynamic and friendly legal team which supports the company’s activity across all media formats and territories. You’ll provide advice and assistance to the whole business on digital media and technology matters, including our fast-growing digital team and two TV channels. This role is a fixed-term contract covering maternity leave. You’ll work closely with all members of the Legal team and have line-management responsibility for our data protection specialist.
Immediate’s Legal team thrives on its close relationship with the business: we are integral to Immediate’s commercial aims and have a deep understanding of the business. In recent years, we’ve struck innovative deals with counterparties like Royal Mail and Amazon. There’s always something new or interesting happening and no two days are the same.
* To advise on the drafting and negotiation of agreements relating to all aspects of digital and web publishing, including affiliate deals, social media and other commercial and digital publishing relationships (including those with platforms such as Facebook, Apple, Google and Amazon);
* To support and advise on the drafting and negotiation of a range of commercial, digital and technology agreements, including equipment procurement, maintenance agreements, hosting, software licences and SaaS, outsourcing, data licenses, services agreements and more general contracts;
* To support the advertising/advertising operations teams on all aspects of their business such as adtech, programmatic, OBA and ad blocking;
* To give legal, commercial and strategic advice on industry and technological developments in digital, web and social media, assessing risks and opportunities and negotiating relationships with platforms, equipment and other device manufacturers;
* To advise on new digital product or service launches with an emphasis on consumer law, data protection, advertising and other compliance issues;
* To advise on related regulatory and compliance issues, including some company secretarial tasks;
* To provide advice and identify best practice on data protection issues, including the line management of the Legal team’s data protection specialist;
* To contribute to the development of best practice within the team and to develop clear and practical processes and controls for the businesses.
Knowledge, Experience & Competencies
* The role would suit a qualified lawyer with at significant post-qualification experience, following a high-quality training contract or equivalent experience and with a track record of academic success. Alternative qualifications and experience will be considered;
* Experience (whether gained in private practice or in-house) of the following: technology contracts, digital media, publishing, social media, apps and e-CRM. Knowledge of programmatic advertising technologies would be an advantage;
* Core understanding of data protection in print and digital activities, including the GDPR, PECR and ePrivacy regulations;
* An understanding of social media and interest in new platforms and devices;
* A solid understanding of contract and intellectual property laws is essential; and
* Strong drafting skills, negotiation, communication and relationship skills.
* A team player with excellent interpersonal skills;
* Top-quality performance, particularly under pressure;
* Effective time-management and prioritisation skills;
* Expertise in digital media issues combined with a willingness to advise the business on related issues as they arise; and
* An affinity with and enthusiasm for this ambitious business and for digital and social media.