6 months ago
Direct Marketing Manager
Last Date for Application
Overall Job Purpose
Immediate Media has an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic and experienced Direct Marketing professional to join the subscriptions team to work on market leading magazines that set the standard in their sectors and have highly engaged and loyal subscribers. This position will focus on our six monthly titles including: BBC Gardeners’ World, BBC Good Food and Lonely Planet Magazine.
This role requires a talented Direct Marketing Manager to drive subscriptions volume whilst delivering profit to the business. As these titles are some of Immediate Media’s biggest titles, subscription revenue is critically important. The Direct Marketing Manager will promote the subscriptions business case to senior colleagues, seeking support from the Subscriptions Director whenever necessary, supported by a Marketing Executive who is responsible for executing the activity. The Direct Marketing Manager will maximise magazine subscription sales and contribution, identifying opportunities for further growth. These will dovetail within the overall department vision as outlined by the Subscriptions Director.
Reporting, Analysis and Forecasting
* A large part of the role will involve using subscriptions knowledge and forecasting models to understand and predict the movements in subscriber volumes and revenues. Forecasting and reporting subscription KPIs to key brand stakeholders, providing clear insight into campaign performance will be a key part of the role, with support from the Subscriptions Director and Subscriptions Analyst.
* Adding value to our customers through subscriber only offers and exclusive online content is a key aspect of our long term subscriptions strategy.
* The overall aim of which is to create deeper and more engaged relationships as well as driving revenue and yield.
* BBC Gardeners’ World is at the forefront of this strategy at Immediate Media therefore this role will be instrumental in continuing to promote the membership via segmented CRM plans which you will develop and refine.
* You’ll also champion the membership initiative internally within our business and externally to our subscriptions bureau and customer service agents and the wider publishing industry.
The role will comprise planning, analysis and setting targets for acquisition campaigns across key channels, including:
* In-magazine: maximise customer lifetime value by converting newsstand readers to subscribers through inserts and pages in the magazine.
* Online: working with the digital marketing team to maximise opportunities to drive subscription sales on magazine brand websites, buysubscriptions.com, and external sites.
* Email: Plan, implement and analyse email campaigns using both the internal database and external lists.
* Telemarketing: (inbound & outbound) reviewing regular cost-effective campaigns.
* Direct mail: use database marketing and market knowledge to maximise profitability from acquisition, renewal and other direct mail activity.
* Cross selling: Look at ways of maximising subscription sales across the wider Immediate Media portfolio and 3rd parties
* New activity: Scope out and asses the suitability of new proposals to increase profitable subscriptions.
Along with driving acquisitions it is also important that we manage churn as much as possible. Therefore devising and executing test plans to help reduce churn will be vital.
With support and direction from the Subscriptions Director, he/ she will implement industry-wowing, best practice campaigns for:
* Acquisition – thinking long term about the ROI/ lifetime value on all sources, encouraging the business to look differently at cold sources than at warm sources, understanding the impact of pricing, payment methods, testing and campaign phasing on the overall subscription file.
* Renewal – focusing maximum investment and time on our most profitable customers
* Testing – defining robust tests and test matrices and implementing tests that generate meaningful results to support the development of the subscription strategy.
Subscription Management and Mailing Process
The Direct Marketing Manager will have responsibility for overseeing the mailing process for subscription copies, ensuring that subscribers receive their copies in a timely fashion each week. They will work with the mailing houses, Publisher and analyst to look at ways to maximise postage savings and fulfilment efficiencies. Therefore previous experience of working across mailing process, logistics and an understanding of postage would be preferable but not essential.
Closely working with the subscription fulfilment bureau will be required to ensure subscription management and customer service standards are maintained.
The role will include line management of one Marketing Executive.
* Subscriptions Marketing Experience:This is essential. Must have experience of working within subscriptions marketing at manager level in the publishing environment. Will be able to step into the role with little training.
* Strong Communicator:Builds appropriate rapport easily at all levels. Engaging and open, and uses tact and diplomacy. Communicates effectively in one-to-one, small and large groups, with peers and management. Can adapt style and approach to different audiences. Writes clearly and succinctly and ensures that the message comes across helpfully and as intended.
* Analytical Thinking:Approaches decision-making using analytical techniques. Breaks things down into component parts. Enjoys devising and following systematic working methods.
* Numeracy:Able to use Microsoft Excel competently. Shows confidence and accuracy when dealing with mathematical calculations, and interpreting data.
* Organisation:Good planner and organiser. Assumes responsibility and understands when there are peaks and troughs in workload. Accurately scopes out length and difficulty of projects/tasks. Organises work and resources to meet deadlines. Uses initiative to step in where necessary. Measures performance against goals and evaluates results.
* Attention to Detail: Experience of proof reading, and accurate representation of campaign results. Is meticulous at recording data.
* Team Player: Works as part of a team to achieve common goals through shared ambition, communication and collaboration. Actively contributes to the team, understands team goals and how he/she fits in. Supports other team members and knows when to ask for help. Doesn’t work in an isolated way. Encourages input from others. Bounces ideas off other people. Works together to create best outcome/result for the team.
* Creativity:Identifies new opportunities and approaches. Champions new ideas and initiatives. Encourages calculated risk taking and seeks different perspectives. Questions the status quo. Thinks about how new ideas will work pragmatically.