6 months ago
Future’s Photography group creates international, market-leading photography tuition and product advice, delivered through award-winning print brands, the fastest-growing photography website, and the UK’s leading event for image-makers.
Digital Camera is the world’s leading digital photography magazine, and Future’s flagship photo title; every issue is packed with the latest news, reviews, tutorials, expert buying advice, tips and inspiring images. Each month, Digital Camera also comes with a selection of free gifts, including covermount disc featuring video lessons, tips cards, and much more. It aims to help photographers of all skill levels to improve their images.
The group’s other magazine brands include PhotoPlus, N-Photo, Digital Photographer, Photoshop Creative and Professional Photography. Delivering the latest kit reviews, tutorials, interviews and advice, the print portfolio is created by expert photographers, and every issue promises to help readers improve their images.
DigitalCameraWorld.com is the fastest-growing photography website, and the online home of all of Future’s imaging content.
The Photography Show, held at the NEC annually in March, is the UK’s leading photography event – packed with inspiring speakers, training zones, and the world’s leading camera and gear manufacturers exhibiting their latest products. Attracting around 30,000 photographers every year, The Photography Show has quickly become the most important date in the UK imaging industry’s calendar.
Job Summary & Purpose
The Editor of Digital Camera is responsible for delivering a best-in-class magazine every month that works for readers and advertisers, on time and to budget.
In addition to delivering market-leading content and quality levels, you’ll be required to develop and improve existing content to keep the magazine fresh and exciting. You’re also required to be a ‘player manager’ – fronting key content as and when appropriate, getting hands-on in the field, writing content, shooting images, and meeting readers at events.
With a keen eye for commercial opportunity, you’ll also be responsible for working with the group’s commercial leadership teams in identifying new revenue opportunities.
You will work closely with your team and other stakeholders to help the magazine brand to succeed and grow its influence worldwide – whether on the newsstand, through subscriptions, digitally, at events, and through brand extensions and licensing..
The role requires significant magazine experience at Editor level, a deep understanding and passion for the subject matter, as well a attention to detail, good organisation skills, a calm approach and self-discipline.
Key role responsibilities
* Responsible for planning the editorial structure and content of each issue, and for approving the flatplan and production schedule
* Responsible for commissioning material for the magazine. The editor can brief staff to commission but retains ultimately responsibility for the quality of those commissions
* Ensure the title (typically through production staff) runs smoothly and to time
* The face of the magazine, including fronting written content and regularly presenting video where required
* Responsible for editorially-led cover-gift content (eg discs, supplements) and other supplementary content where appropriate for the magazine audience and within budget
* The editor has ultimate responsibility for passing copy, proofs and layouts for final publication, including responsibility for legal aspects (libel and copyright)
* Keeping track of payments and rights issues with regard to contributors and suppliers and ensuring all budgets are adhered to
* Ensure magazine meets KPIs defined by the management group
* Leading the editorial team, ensuring it runs effectively and efficiently
* Ensuring staff have job descriptions and are clear what their roles are
* Has a vision for the magazine. Works with Group management team to shape that vision into a long-term editorial strategy for the title
* Identify trends within the market and react to market conditions in a timely and appropriate way
* Responsible for developing contacts with advertisers and other key contacts within the industry
* Works with Art Editor to ensure design standards are met satisfy reader needs
* Able to find new contributors and manage/lead existing contributors
* Knows what images, illustrations and photographs are being used in the magazine and has a clear idea of the design of the magazine each month
* To act as the magazine’s figurehead/’public face’ at relevant media events
* Ensuring the title is kept as much in the public eye as possible
* Ensures social media strategy for the magazine it is delivered
Essential skills and experience
* A strong understanding of the magazine’s subject matter
* At least two years of experience at Editor level
* Excellent magazine craft
* Excellent managerial skills
* Ability to think commercially
* Ability to work as part of a wider team
* Able to interpret and use audience behavioural data
* Good communication skills