5 months ago
Editorial Assistant, pre-teen girls hub
Last Date for Application
Overall Job Purpose
We're looking for an Editorial Assistant to work across working across some of our leading pre-teen brands, including Girl Talk, Girl Talk Art, Hatchimals, Top Of The Pops, Pokémon and LEGO Friends magazines.
This is an integral role to provide professional administrative and organisational support to the hub's two editors and their wider editorial teams, ensuring the smooth running of the magazines. This includes the completion of general administrative tasks, sourcing competition prizes, dealing with visitors and contributors, attending press events, contributing ideas and writing regular editorial pages.
A love of magazines and a passion for popular culture are essential for this role.
General Administrative duties
* To handle enquiries from readers and their parents via post, phone and email, using initiative to deal with queries and referring other queries to the relevant editorial staff or relevant departments.
* Look after visitors, casual workers and work experience placements (organise IT/systems access and security passes). Liaising with Facilities/IT/Switchboard as necessary.
* Assist with the running of any competitions/in mag promotions, sourcing prizes and liaising with relevant stakeholders such as legal/marketing/licence holders.
Co-ordinate/organise despatch of prizes.
* Set up and maintain efficient filing and reference systems to provide up to date and easily accessible information as required by the Editors.
* Keep up to date with team activities and deadlines.
* Use initiative to deal with routine queries and to liaise professionally with contributors.
* Assist with other areas of the magazine according to the opportunities and demands on the team.
* To attend press events when required.
Writing, research and creative work
* To write accurate copy in a style and tone that is appropriate and compelling to the readership and to research background where necessary.
* To attend editorial meetings and contribute ideas when required.
* To contribute ideas and work to other areas of the brands within the Pre-Teen Division.
Knowledge, Experience & Competencies
* Demonstrable passion for popular culture and magazines
* Organisation & Management - Good planner and organiser. Assumes responsibility and understands when there are peaks and troughs in workload. Accurately scopes out length and difficulty of projects/tasks. Organises work and resources to meet deadlines. Uses initiative to step in where necessary. Measures performance against goals and evaluates results.
* Strong communicator - Builds appropriate rapport easily at all levels. Engaging and open and uses tact & diplomacy. Brings relevant debate to the table. Communicates effectively in one to one, small and large groups, with peers, management and direct reports. Commands attention and can adapt style and approach to different audiences. Writes clearly and succinctly and ensures that the message comes across helpfully and as intended.
* Team Player - Works as part of a team to achieve common goals through shared ambition, communication and collaboration. Actively contributes to the team, understands team goals and how he/she fits in. Supports other team members and knows when to ask for help. Doesn’t work in an isolated way. Encourages input from others. Bounces ideas off other people. Works together to create best outcome/result for the team.