8 months ago
More information about this job
The Economist Group logo
The Economist Group is the leading source of analysis on international business and world affairs. We deliver our information through a range of formats, from newspapers and magazines to conferences and electronic services. What ties us together is the objectivity of our opinion, the originality of our insight, and our advocacy of economic and political freedom around the world.
Our digital solutions team provides services to The Economist Group businesses and is also responsible for the flagship products including Economist.com and The Economist digital apps.
We are recruiting an Engineering Lead, reporting to the Director of Commerce Technology, who will be responsible for setting the engineering standards for the Commerce Platform. This will be driven through balancing the business and architectural goals alongside engineering best practices. Additionally, the Lead Engineer is responsible for maintaining a high standard of code quality, identifying risk and technical debt, the creation and maintenance of technical documentation for solutions and features, and overseeing the distribution and coordination of engineering duties where appropriate.
Our Digital Team is a product-centric organisation spanning many areas of technology and product development at The Economist. We are strong believers that innovation comes from within and encourage exploration of new tools and techniques. We use open-source technologies wherever possible and give back to the community by open sourcing code when appropriate. Many members of our team contribute to open source projects individually. We are actively changing our landscape, embracing microservices, engaging front-end experiences with Isomorphic JS frameworks, continuous integration and tightening the feedback loop through continuous delivery.
How you will contribute:
* Taking leadership and responsibility for the ability of the team to effectively establish, implement and maintain expected product behaviour. Proactively plans and reacts to the company goals. Works with the Product Manager, Director of Commerce Technology and CTO to influence, contribute to and validate the product roadmap
* Create, design and implement stories and strategies for the engineering team
* Acts as the design authority to validate design decisions taken by the team
* Develop and implement engineering best practices that align with overall technology goals, including governance and execution of code reviews to ensure code quality
* Recommend, research and test hardware and software improvements and new technologies for the platform
* Encourage, motivate and lead the way. Fostering an environment where people can achieve their potential. Leading the collaboration and coordination of distributed engineering teams
* Work with the Product Owner to ensure technology considerations are included in all product and prioritising decisions
* Work with product owner to ensure that technical debt is appropriately managed
* Communicate team’s failings and successes to the company stakeholders
* Document technical designs, training resources, and key engineering decisions. Ensures acceptance criteria is defined and adhered to
* Accept responsibility for the team’s ability to perform successful releases. Provide team context and knowledge of external systems which may be relevant to releases
* Participate as a member of the technology strategy team with a focus on system maintainability and scalability
* Lead the analysis of difficult system problems and, in collaboration with team members, recommends solutions
* Be responsible for change management
* Identify resource and training needs for the platform
* Ensure engineering teams follow accepted protocol around system security
Experience, skills and professional attributes
The ideal skills for this role are:
* Understanding of Product Life Cycle management in a software engineering environment, with particular emphasis on Continual Deployment
* The ability to work with multiple stakeholders across functions and geographical regions
* Advanced knowledge of engineering and integration concepts/principles
* Being naturally proactive, analytical and capable of influencing and providing decision support
* Market aware, keeping up to date with competitors
* Team Player
* Experience in developing and maintaining distributed applications and RESTful APIs
* Professional experience managing teams to design and deliver engineering solutions
* Expert understanding of integration approaches and best practices especially in integrating cloud based SasS solutions such as Salesforce. Specifically APIs, Enterprise Integration, REST/JSON, Enterprise Service Bus ideally Mulesoft
* PHP, Symphony programming knowledge, beneficial if had background in working with Web Content Management Systems like EZPublish.
* Experience working with AWS including hosting, messaging, and logging
* Experience using NGINX and Varnish
* Knowledge of Docker and containerization
* Experience with distributed version control systems (Git)
If this role matches your skills, experience and motivations then please submit your CV with a covering note identifying why you feel you would be a great addition to the team along with your salary expectations.
In return, we provide a supportive and progressive environment with a wide range of opportunities for you to grow both personally and professionally.
The Economist Group values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, colour, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age.