4 months ago
Event Director - Upper Street Events
Overall Job Purpose
We are looking for a brilliant Event Director to join our Art & Design Portfolio, taking responsibility for New Designers.
New Designers is the UK’s most important exhibition for graduate design, showcasing the fresh-thinking and innovation of 3,000 brilliant individuals, providing an essential pipeline of new talent that ensure that the lifecycle of the design industry continues and thrives.
Every summer in London, these newly graduated designers come together at New Designers representing the top 200 design courses from across the nation to meet industry employers, the media, trend predictors and a design hungry public. It is seen as an essential resource for all who attend and an invaluable springboard for all who exhibit. The event runs across two weeks, representing a strong cross section of design disciplines and two prestigious industry supported awards evenings.
• Overall responsibility for the show budget
• In collaboration with the PD, prepare the financial pack for the show providing a budget and KPI dashboard
• Work with the PD to ensure budgets are tracked and monitored, with any concerns for potential revenue issues raised in a timely fashion.
• Get sign off of the final budget with PD and Financial Controller two months after the show end. SALES
• Organise the weekly sales meetings and ensure attendance of key team members
• Agree final sales target and sign off sales strategy and campaign plan with the Sales Manager
• Performance-manage the sales team through on-going feedback, regular 1-21’s and appraisals.
• Project manage the successful delivery of your and your team’s key client accounts as verified by clients post event feedback from telephone conversations and on-site visits as appropriate
• Ability to sell via phone and face – seeking top aspirational contracts.
• On-going liaison with Credit Control team to resolve any debt issues
• Communicate commissions for sales team after discussion with PDs
• To act as an ambassador for New Designers ensuring that a positive brand image is strengthened and maintained in all interactions with all external stakeholders.
• To continue to develop an in depth knowledge of the design industry both in the UK and internationally
• To build our relationships with the industry stakeholders including the key companies of influence, media owners and associations. Wherever possible to explore potential marketing opportunities, event partnerships, new revenue streams and cost savings from these relationships.
• To closely monitor key competition and identify their strengths and weaknesses versus your show
• Identify any opportunities for expansion/cloning of the show
• To attend relevant design fair/exhibitions/networking events as requested by the PD.
• To participate in familiarisation trips, site inspections and client entertaining as requested (which may include out of hours and weekends).
• Primary contact with the venue and oversee operations function for the event
• As required, prepare and track project timelines and budgets to achieve objectives as agreed with the PD
• In tandem with the Operations Manager, ensure that suppliers are given a full brief, are fully liaised with prior to the show and managed on site in line with delivery objectives
• To ensure that all relevant and appropriate H&S documentation, risk assessments, CDM documentation and method statements relating to your allocated events are completed professionally and maintained in the appropriate places.
• Sign off all contracts, e.g. Operations, PR etc.
• Sign off marketing strategy and campaign plan with Marketing Manager.
• Agree final attendee targets with MM
• Sign off creative campaign and monitor collateral on an on-going basis
• Monitor the PR campaign to ensure activity is delivered efficiently and cost effectively
Knowledge, Experience & Competencies
* At least two years’ experience as an Event Director or Senior Event Manager
* Good understanding of the marketing mix for events
* Proven track record in exhibition sales
* Highly organized with clear analytical thinking and excellent planning skills
* Show leadership skills and ability to act as a role model to show team
* Have excellent verbal and written communication skills
* Demonstrate ability to think strategically
* Be a good negotiator and ensure this is carried through to all levels of the show teams and shared across the business
* Promote excellent attention to detail across all aspects of the shows
* Demonstrate a passion for organizing events and for the shows in their portfolio