about 1 month ago
Global Head of Event Operations
The Economist Group is the leading source of analysis on international business and world affairs. We deliver our information through a range of formats, from newspapers and magazines to conferences and electronic services. What ties us together is the objectivity of our opinion, the originality of our insight and our advocacy of economic and political freedom around the world.
The Economist Group fields two parallel events businesses: The Economist Events and EuroFinance. The Economist Events, rooted in the mission of The Economist newspaper to lead healthy debate in pursuit of progress, convenes conferences and conversations on subjects ranging fintech and AI to the health of global oceans to the role of corporations in society.
EuroFinance is the leading global provider of treasury, cash management and risk conferences, training and research. Through our in-depth research with 1,000 corporate treasury professionals every year, we have a unique insight into the trends and developments within the profession and an unrivaled global viewpoint.
The Global Head of Event Operations will be responsible for the logistics and delivery of all events produced by both The Economist Events and EuroFinance.
This position is based in London and reports into the Global Head of Economist Events, with a dotted line into the Head of EuroFinance.
How you will contribute:
* Ensure the development and smooth execution of event experience – including location and venue selection, event design, logistics and delivery – to accomplish the goals of the businesses and meet the standards of quality expected by The Economist Group and our clients
* Manage a global team of approximately 15 full-time staff plus freelancers across London, New York, Hong Kong, and Dubai
* Develop and manage all event budgets in close coordination with the business owners and peers. Manage contracts and coordinate with finance and other stakeholders to manage timely payment of invoices
* Serve as “executive sponsor” for a select number of events and Group-wide initiatives each year, leading event or initiative development and ensuring close coordination of marketing, programmer, sponsorship sales, and logistics. Liaise with stakeholders from other parts of the business as needed
* Ensure all external vendors are selected and managed to optimize value for the Group and in adherence with the Group’s anti-bribery policies. Identify and develop opportunities to improve value through global or regional contracts, and through barter arrangements where appropriate. Develop strategic relationships with vendors and other 3rd parties where appropriate
* Maintain and improve business processes and systems for project management to ensure that teams meet agreed deadlines for the programming, marketing, and production of events.
* Work with clients and other senior stakeholders in a professional manner to support client needs and the goals of the business
* Serve as a member of the Economist Events Management Committee and the Eurofinance leadership team, participating fully in management discussions and in shaping the strategy of the businesses
Experience, skills and professional attributes
The ideal skills for this role are:
* At least 8 years work experience and 5 years working in event production and logistics
* Experience managing multi-day, large-scale exhibitions as well as experience with international events strongly preferred
* Minimum 3 years managing and developing teams; experience managing teams through change, and across offices and regions, preferred
* Demonstrated track record of managing vendor relationships, including negotiating favorable contract rates and terms
* Demonstrated experience developing and managing events to meet specific goals, both financial and otherwise
* Creativity and a passion for developing high-quality, forward-thinking event experiences on a lean budget
* Excellent client management skills. Experience working with clients and managing client projects
* Ability to manage teams across dozens of projects in a changing, fast-paced work environment
* Excellent collaboration skills; experience working in complex, multi-stakeholder environments along with excellent written and oral communication skills
* Familiarity with event technologies, and ability to assess new technologies and make strategic recommendations
* Able to fulfill flexible working hours during busy periods, and travel up to 20% of time annually, concentrated during busy event seasons
* Pro-active, reliable, results orientated, a finisher, attention to detail, disciplined
* Curiosity and a basic interest in global affairs
Apply for this job onlineApply
Email this job to a friendRefer
Sorry the Share function is not working properly at this moment. Please refresh the page and try again later.
Share on your newsfeed
If this role matches your skills, experience and motivations then please submit your CV with a covering note identifying why you feel you would be a great addition to the team along with your salary expectations.
In return, we provide a supportive and progressive environment with a wide range of opportunities for you to grow both personally and professionally.
The Economist Group values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, colour, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age.
Software Powered by iCIMS