4 months ago
Graphic Designer - The Week Junior Magazine
Designer, The Week Junior & Science+Nature
Want to be part of the most dynamic media company in the UK? Are you looking to join a team where you can express yourself in an environment where change and growth are celebrated? If your answer is yes, then look no further.
We’re looking for an ambitious and dedicated designer to join the team that creates the UK’s fastest-growing magazine. The Week Junior is a multi-award-winning weekly current affairs magazine for 8-14 year olds. Launched in November 2015 it continues to grow at a Dennis Publishing record-breaking rate. You will also be working on our monthly title Science+Nature and a whole host of exciting brand extensions and promotional materials.
At Dennis, we’re dedicated to creating brands that people want to work on and a culture that people want to work in and we want you to be part of our success.
What will you be doing?
* As part of a tight-knit team you will be working closely with the Art Director, Picture Editor, editors and writers to ensure that everything that you create is engaging, eye-catching, and accessible to our young readers while sticking to strict design rules and style guides and meeting strict deadlines.
* You will help come up with creative solutions for features, reading and discussing copy with writers and editors to ensure that you have a clear understanding of what the item is about, what the priorities are and what visual treatments will be most appropriate.
* You will work closely with the Production team to ensure that pages are ready for press. This will include competently preparing InDesign documents, ensuring correct fonts are selected, doing accurate non-destructive cut-outs, colour-correcting, linking and updating images, checking layers and transparency, checking and removing spot colours and ensuring that every page is perfect before being PDFed for print.
* From time to time you may be expected to deputise for the Art Director (e.g. during periods of annual leave). This may involve overseeing the work of freelance designers.
* Perform general administrative tasks in the art department.
* With a background in design on (ideally) a weekly or monthly newsstand publication, you will demonstrate creative and artistic flair along with a great understanding of typography, styling, grids, layouts and picture editing.
* You are expert in using InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator CS
* You will be able to correct dull, dark and flat images and make the best of images that sometimes have poor picture quality.
* You will have at least one year’s experience in a similar role.
* An interest in the editorial content of a magazine for young people and their interests is essential.
At Dennis, we’re dedicated to creating brands that people want to work with, and a culture that people want to work in. We’re unique, and so are you. You’ll enjoy a host of benefits and perks when you join us, on top of a satisfying salary. And that’s not all:
* We’re award winning. You will be working across award-winning brands and in award-winning teams and joining a culture where innovation and success are encouraged.
* Our Commitment. We’re very proud to support The Heart of England Forest; an exciting and ambitious charity aiming to plant and preserve the largest native broadleaf forest in England. Founded by our late chairman, Felix Dennis, every employee gets the chance to plant a tree in their name so you can feel part of their vision.
* We’re always thinking of you. You’ll have access to plenty of great benefits such as 28 days holiday, a contributory pension scheme and discounted gym membership.
* We recognise hard work. Have you always dreamed of taking time out of work to travel the world? You’ll be given the opportunity to take a 6 week paid sabbatical after five years service. And if you’re lucky enough to win our Employee of the Year Award you’ll be sent on a holiday of a lifetime to a destination that certainly has the ‘wow’ factor.
* We know how to have fun. Whether it’s swatting up for one of our pub quizzes, creating a costume for our famous fancy dress parties or taking part in a fitness challenge as part of our annual charity day - we can guarantee you will share the enjoyment of life at Dennis.
Being Brilliantly different is part of our DNA – our success is built upon it. What makes you unique is what makes us unique and we’re proud to foster and promote an environment of inclusivity and a celebration of individuality. Dennis does not discriminate. We recruit purely based on your skills, talent and your potential. If you feel you are right for the role, we’d very much like to hear from you!