about 1 month ago
About the Team
PC Gamer is the global authority on PC games. We’ve been covering PC gaming for more than 25 years, and continue that legacy today with worldwide print editions and around-the-clock news, features, hardware testing and game reviews on PCGamer.com, as well as major yearly events including the PC Gaming Show at E3.
Based out of our Bath office, you will be writing and editing tips and guides content for PCGamer.com, ensuring the success of those articles through SEO research and maintenance. You’ll play a key role in driving this important growth area of our website, working with the UK Editor-In-Chief and global PC Gamer team to produce fantastic guides to the biggest games for a massive online audience.
You’ll get to work with a world class editorial team, and develop your skills across important areas like SEO. We’ll help you develop as a writer and editor, and teach you how to use our social media channels to connect your work with our readers. You’ll ensure PC Gamer’s high editorial standards are maintained across all our guides, and keep ahead of our competitors when it comes to uncovering traffic opportunities around different games.
This role is ideally suited to someone with experience as a staff writer or freelancer for a games website or magazine, with demonstrable experience of writing guides content. We’d like a candidate who understands the true value of guides when they’re produced well—how we can help our readers answer their questions about the games they love, and help them get more from their interactive experiences.
Key role responsibilities
* Writing guides content around PC games, from ongoing live games like Fortnite and Destiny 2 to upcoming blockbusters like Jedi: Fallen Order or Borderlands 3
* Scheduling all content effectively to maximise potential performance
* Optimising guides content for search, and maintaining Google rankings for those guides
* Implementing an effective cross-linking strategy to enhance the performance of all guides
* Working with our Audience Development team to find evergreen SEO guides terms for PC games that can produce great long-term results
* Collaborating with other guides writers in Future’s games division to efficiently create tips content for multiplatform games
What do I need to succeed?
* 1-2 years of consistent experience as a freelance writer on a games website, or full-time experience as a writer in games media or a related field
* A passion for one or more of the following games: Warframe, Destiny 2, Fortnite, Apex Legends, PUBG, GTA Online, Hearthstone, WOW, CS:GO, League of Legends, Rainbow Six: Siege, Auto-Chess variants
* Demonstrable tips and guides writing experience
* Experience using online content management systems
* A clear passion for PC gaming and beating games
* Strong organisational skills
* Basic video editing skills – desirable but not essential
* SEO expertise – desirable but not essential
What will I get in return?
As well as our standard benefits, we have a number of awesome perks available to our staff including:
* Unlimited paid time off (yes you read that right!)
* A share in our success- every member of staff receives a profit pool bonus at the end of our financial year
* Free food (monthly munchies, bagel Fridays, fresh fruit & snacks and coffee and tea on tap)
* Central office locations with cool open plan working spaces
* Free digital magazine subscriptions and access to back copies of our print magazines and bookazines
* Discounted gym membership and onsite health & wellbeing (yoga at lunch anyone?!)
* 2 day offsite in your first 3 months to learn more about Future
* Annual Future conference – get together with your colleagues to celebrate success and look forward to what’s next
* Regular staff socials arranged by our wonderful Employee Community & Culture committees
* Huge opportunities to learn and develop whether through professional qualifications, exposure to incredible business projects or informal lunch & learns, hosted by your colleagues
* Give something back- Future will match your personal charity fundraising efforts up to £300
We are Future
Connectors. Creators. Experience Makers
We have big ambitions to transform media and change people’s lives. Together, we connect people to their passions through the high-quality content we create and the innovative technology we pioneer. It’s an incredibly exciting time to join!
Future is the name behind market-leading brands in specialist sectors across technology, gaming & entertainment, music, creative & photography, hobbies, knowledge and home interest.
We’re dedicated to creating loyal fans of our brands, and the number is growing all the time. Our global reach is phenomenal with over 250 million consumers across 180 + world-leading brands. It’s an incredible privilege to have such a passionate audience base across our websites, magazines, social media and events.
Every kind of talent is celebrated here.. We hire for person not for the role, looking for people who share our ambitions to be bold and innovate, making Future a global success story.
Let’s do this!
To apply for this role, please submit your CV and a covering letter explaining why this is your dream job!