8 months ago
Reporting to the Global Editor-in-Chief, you will primarily be responsible for writing articles and updating buying guides on PC hardware technology for primarily PCGamer.com, along with also making monthly contributions to Maximum PC magazine and performing other editorial work as required. You may also be required to assist with the production of video-based articles, podcasts, and event coverage.
You will be given a schedule of regular articles you will need to create and update. You will be responsible for meeting all your deadlines and liaising with editors to ensure you produce high-quality content that meets the needs of the readers.
You must also respond to reasonable requests from senior members of the editorial team to help create any of the department’s output, including its websites, magazines, video, and social media.
Example of content types you will be will be responsible for: in-depth buyer’s guides relating to choosing the best products, reviews of products, hardware guides, video guides.
Other responsibilities you will be responsible for: managing freelancers, developing new and strengthening existing relationships with hardware vendors.
The job requires attention to detail, good organisation skills, a calm approach, self-discipline, and a passion for building and maintaining gaming computers.
PC Gamer’s Hardware channel is managed day-to-day by a Lead Editor. Everyone in the team is expected to work with those around them to create efficient working practices to minimise the need for extra resources, such as external freelance help. In order for the editorial team to be effective, all members need to be pragmatic, collaborative and communicative.
Key role responsibilities
1. Deliver quality, relevant and well-written copy to set deadlines as directed by the team editor and/or other senior editorial staff
2. Understand and deliver on readers’ needs
3. Take responsibility for managing your own workload, liaising with editors in order to meet all your deadlines
4. Generate appropriate feature/reviews leads and ideas
5. Collaborate with the art team to ensure your articles look great and are coherently presented
6. Develop and maintain productive industry, PR and commercial relationships
7. Be responsible for and deliver any administrative tasks set by senior staff
8. Contribute social media content to an agreed schedule
9. Record video-based content as and when directed by the Group Content Manager or other senior editorial staff
10. Attend events when required
11. Under the direction of the Group Editor-in-Chief, all editorial staff may be asked to work on any of the creative output of the Group. The workload will be measured and sensible.
Essential skills and experience
* Fantastic writing skills
* Experience of writing for print and online
* A good knowledge of the technology industry, particularly regarding PCs and their peripherals
* Ability to explain complex subjects in a clear and easily understood fashion
* Strong written and oral communication skills, including excellent spelling and grammar
* Work on own initiative
* Ability to deliver copy to tight deadlines
* Excellent time management skills
* Team player
* Confident reviewer of PCs and hardware (graphics cards, monitors, CPUs, SSDs, etc…)
Desirable skills and experience
* Postgraduate-level journalism qualification
* Knowledge of libel law
* Expert knowledge of the technology industries – PCs, hardware, graphics cards, storage, monitors, SSDs, processors, etc.
* Expert knowledge of the hardware market space – vendors, online retailers, price points, on a global level, etc.