5 months ago
Reporting to the Central Hardware Team Managing Editor, you will primarily be responsible for writing eCommerce articles and updating buying guides about gaming hardware technology for PCGamer.com and Gamesradar.com, plus performing other editorial work as required. You may also be required to assist with the production of video-based articles, podcasts, and event coverage.
You will be given a schedule of regular articles you will need to create and update. You will be responsible for meeting all your deadlines and liaising with colleagues to ensure you produce high-quality content that meets the needs of the readers.
You must also respond to reasonable requests from senior members of the editorial team to help create any of the department’s output, including its websites, magazines, video, and social media.
Example of content types you will be responsible for: in-depth buyer’s guides relating to choosing the best products, reviews of new components, ‘how to’ guides, deals and news stories.
You will be expected to deputise for the Managing Editor and Senior Writer in his/her absence, attending relevant meetings and updating management on the team’s workflow and performance.
Other responsibilities: sub-editing copy, reversioning articles from one site to another, developing new and strengthening existing relationships with hardware vendors.
The job requires attention to detail, good organisation skills, a calm approach, self-discipline, and a passion for building and maintaining gaming computers.
PC Gamer and GamesRadar are the backbone of Future’s gaming output. Both sites feature extensive hardware coverage which drives eCommerce performance through the use of affiliate links. All editors are expected to work with their colleagues to create efficient practices that minimise the need for extra resources such as freelance help. In order for the editorial team to be effective, staff must be pragmatic, collaborative and communicative.
Key role responsibilities:
* Deliver quality, relevant and well-written copy to deadlines as directed by the Central Hardware Team Managing Editor and/or other senior editorial staff.
* Understand and deliver on readers’ needs
* Use SEO tools and analytics to monitor the performance of a substantial suite of ‘evergreen’ content with a view to maintaining and improving search ranking.
* Take responsibility for managing your own workload, liaising with editors in order to meet all your deadlines.
* Develop and maintain productive industry, PR and commercial relationships.
* Be responsible for and deliver any administrative tasks set by senior staff.
* Contribute to social media content as required
* Record video-based content as and when directed by senior editorial staff.
* Attend events when required
* Under the direction of the Editorial Director, all editorial staff may be asked to work on any of the creative output of the games group. Such workload will be measured and sensible.
Essential skills and experience:
* Fantastic writing skills
* Good understanding of SEO
* Experience in testing multiple hardware types
* Experience of writing for online
* A good knowledge of the technology industry, particularly regarding PCs, games consoles and their peripherals.
* Ability to explain complex subjects in a clear and easily understood fashion.
* Strong written and oral communication skills, including excellent spelling and grammar.
* Work on own initiative
* Ability to deliver copy to tight deadlines
* Excellent time management skills
* Team player
* Confident reviewer of tech
Desirable skills and experience:
* Postgraduate-level journalism qualification
* Knowledge of libel law
* Expert knowledge of the technology industries – PCs, hardware, graphics cards, storage, monitors, SSDs, processors, etc.
* Expert knowledge of the hardware market space – vendors, online retailers, price points, on a global level, etc.
* Experience in writing eCommerce driven content
We are Future
Connectors. Creators. Experience Makers
We have big ambitions to transform media and change people’s lives. Together, we connect people to their passions through the high-quality content we create and the innovative technology we pioneer. It’s an incredibly exciting time to join!
Future is the name behind market-leading brands in specialist sectors across technology, gaming & entertainment, music, creative & photography, hobbies, knowledge and home interest.
We’re dedicated to creating loyal fans of our brands, and the number is growing all the time. Our global reach is phenomenal with over 250 million consumers across 180 + world-leading brands. It’s an incredible privilege to have such a passionate audience base across our websites, magazines, social media and events.
But that’s not enough – we continue to add to our portfolio and restlessly look to improve, innovate and push the boundaries of what can be done. We are developing leading-edge proprietary technology which is disrupting the media marketplace.
Together, we’re exceeding the expectations of everyone we exist for – our audiences, clients, staff and shareholders. In a short space of time, Future has transformed into an innovative global media platform and the figures speak volumes:
Online audience growth
We reap the rewards too, of course, with a fun and creative place to work with endless opportunities to forge a career. We believe in teamwork that transcends location, so we don’t have a Future HQ but a globally connected workforce across the UK, US, France and Australia
Every kind of talent is celebrated here.. We hire for person not for the role, looking for people who share our ambitions to be bold and innovate, making Future a global success story.
Let’s do this!
To apply for this role, please submit your CV and a cover letter explaining why this is your dream job!