11 months ago
More information about this job
Signal Noise is a design studio for a data driven age. We were began in 2010 with 3 Founders, and we are now a team of 34 based in Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park in Stratford East London. Our clients include UBS, Wired Magazine, The Economist,
The Guardian, BCG, Open Systems, Formula One and Trading Screen to name a few.
We create data visulisations, tools and dashboards and our clients include Accenture, EE and Unilever. Acquired by The Economist Group in October 2016. This partnership will enable us to step up the innovative and disruptive quality of the visual data storytelling we produce for our clients, and to create cutting edge content and tools for a data-driven age.
As a Lead Engineer, you will be responsible for mentoring more junior team members of the engineering team to progress their development.
In this role you will be expected to:
• Write clean, modular, cross-platform, high quality, test driven and maintainable code
• Contribute to the company development standards and best practices working closely with the Technical Director
• Provide innovative new ideas and solutions to problems
• Undertake technical research to learn how to solve new problems
• Prototype new ideas, concepts and features
• Identify potential issues that could arise during the product build phase
• Contribute to project and products documentation and technical specifications working closely with the other team members working on the product (Product Manager, Developers and Designers)
• Define project technical requirements (languages, libraries, frameworks, hardware, hosting, deployment, monitoring…)
• Design application, database and system architectures for new and innovative products
• Care about software performance and security
• Provide accurate timing estimates on work
• Discuss technical solutions with clients
• Contribute to product pitch and conceptualisation
• Help the Technical Director managing developers involved in product teams
Experience, skills and professional attributes
To succeed in this role you must have:
• Software Engineering experience
• The ability to work within and be a part of a team
• Passion for emerging technologies
• Excellent understanding of Web technologies
• Experience working on large projects and interacting with clients
• Experience managing developers and helping them to progress
• The ability to give technical support to other members of the engineering team
• Experience architecturing, working on and maintaining large code bases
• Experience designing and setting up systems
• Experience monitoring systems
• Basic experience in security
• Experience scaling up backend web applications
• Experience working with a well known backend framework would be a bonus
• Experience unit testing client side and server side code bases
• Experience working with version control systems such as Git
If this role matches your skills, experience and motivations then please submit your CV with a covering note identifying why you feel you would be a great addition to the team along with your salary expectations.
In return, we provide a supportive and progressive environment with a wide range of opportunities for you to grow both personally and professionally.
The Economist Group values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, colour, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age.