2 months ago
Future’s editorial department is a highly innovative and fast-moving part of our business that is staffed by a combination of digital development specialists, highly skilled online journalists and business experts. Together they are developing new approaches to content creation and presentation that help audiences to discover the right products for their needs and buy them at the best prices – all this is underpinned by best-in-class, independent journalism, written by passionate experts.
Job Summary & Purpose
We’re looking for a skilled and driven digital journalist with an interest in cycling and a talent for offering first class buying advice to take on this exciting role working on Cyclingnews.com.
Reporting to the Editor-in-Chief, as Reviews Writer or Editor you will be responsible for generating content that reviews, rates and recommends cycling products. From road bikes and wheelsets to saddles, groupsets and power meters you will become one of the world’s foremost experts on what’s hot and what’s not!
These reviews are designed to provide essential information to people in the market to buy cycling products, so you should be a first-rate writer with up-to-date digital skills with a strong working knowledge of review formats and objective testing environments.
You’ll need to have your finger on the pulse to ensure the website is always up to date and, in many cases, ahead of the curve. Consequently, you’ll need to develop strong PR contacts and fantastic organisational skills; a talent for writing sharp, quality content; strong SEO knowledge or the ability to learn quickly, as well as the ability to adapt while working in a fast-paced and ambitious environment.
Key role responsibilities
* Developing test formats for product categories including bikes, accessories, clothing and footwear.
* Writing buying guides for Cyclingnews.com as per a content plan agreed with the Global Editor-in-Chief.
* Ensuring the buying guides talk about products that are of interest to the audience at various price points.
* Ensure the audience for these guides is maximised in line with best practice SEO.
* Commissioning content from freelance contributors.
* Ensuring that reviews deliver not just excellent and informative content for users but also encourage them to click through and purchase where appropriate.
* Monitor performance of these articles and assess next steps as required.
* Update existing buying guides on the site and ensure they remain relevant and rank highly.
* Employ your understanding of different audience types to ensure the effectiveness of the content at different price points.
Essential skills and experience
* Proven ability to write high quality engaging review-based content.
* Interest in and a passion for road cycling.
* An existing understanding of SEO best practices and the ability to quickly develop these skills.
* Ability to use Google Analytics to report on and inform content strategies.
* Knowledge and experience of content management systems.
* A great eye for the aesthetic, with the ability to bring content to life through stunning imagery and intuitive article layouts.
* Ability to work as part of, and be a leader within, a wider team.
* Able to interpret and use audience behavioural data.
* Excellent communication skills between both PR and internal contacts.
* Representing Future brands externally at events and launches when relevant.