6 months ago
Future is an international publishing and media group, and a leading digital business. Founded in 1985 with one magazine, today we are a global business with offices in the UK, US and Australia, creating over 200 print and digital magazines, websites and events.
The Commercial Finance Analyst (CFA) provides key management information to the operational functions in the business as well as being a key link between the finance department and the business. The role works hand in hand with the business to prepare weekly trading updates and short term forecasts and monthly variance analysis. The role also provides key support to the Financial Planning and Analysis cycle with significant involvement in the budget and reforecast construct and collation. They also support ad-hoc deep dive analysis and new business development modelling.
The Finance department is a critical support function in a fast paced dynamic media environment, delivering efficient transactional finance, diligent financial control, and excellent business partnership at all levels.
Working in the Future Finance team gives you the chance to build relationships with all areas of the company and the opportunity to foster a thorough understanding of an ever evolving media landscape. The Finance team itself are a vibrant, hardworking and friendly group, that are valued by our ambitious and inspiring executive leadership team, as Future’s horizons expand via acquisitive and organic growth.
Key role responsibilities
Understanding and reporting
* Drive performance in the business areas you support by using data to create relevant, accurate and insightful analysis
* Predict performance, identify opportunities and highlight risk, which will in turn allow business owners to deliver on their strategy
* Prepare and distribute robust management information and analysis, consisting of both Financial and Non-Financial metrics to the business and report key variances.
* Set up reporting and measurement frameworks for new business areas
* Working hand in hand with the commercial finance team and business owners, to provide data and insight to drive operational performance and improve profitability
* Engage with the business owners and operational teams, to drive robust financial decision making supporting the long-term strategy of the business.
* Translate strategy into operational deliverables. Support the business owners in operational activities that require finance input – e.g. volumes, efficiencies, yield, pricing etc
* Lead the month end process, reviewing outputs and delivering commentaries that provide insight into business performance.
* Deliver appropriate reporting/analysis to the business as required
Forecasting and planning
* Lead the annual planning process for the business owner; drive the development of local operational plans that support the financial expectations. Ensure that the business is accountable for the plans.
* Build FP&A models to support budgeting and forecasting
Insight to drive opportunities and limit risks
* Maintain rolling forecasts supported by immediate threats and opportunities. Use these to support the month end close.
* Work collaboratively with Business owners on longer term threats and opportunities. Providing insight that can influence decision making.
Essential skills and experience
* Qualified accountant or part-qualified approaching final exams
* Excellent communication and collaboration skills
* Ability to quickly absorb and apply new information
* Proactive approach to work
* An enquiring mind with strong analysis and numerical ability
* Effective prioritisation of workloads and initiatives to deliver results in a timely and relevant manner
* Strong MS Office skills including Excel (including pivot tables, macros and vlookups), Word and Powerpoint skills, as well as Google Sheets/docs
* The ability to be both a team player and able to work unaided using your own initiative
* An ability to present ideas clearly, simply and confidently
* An ability to work in an environment that changes at pace
* An ability to problem solve and use initiative to improve
* Good relationship builder
Desirable skills and experience
* An understanding of the media business desirable