6 months ago
Senior Infrastructure Operations Engineer (Shipping)
* Senior Infrastructure Operations Engineer (Shipping)
* Saga Cruises Ltd
* 31/01/2018 22:59
Salary Up To
* £40,000 p.a
Job Description Summary
We are recruiting for a Senior Infrastructure Operations Engineer (Shipping) to join the new team in Southampton.
This role will be expected to work closely with both the shipping engineering teams and those of the wider Saga group IT function to deliver world class service for all aspects of support and maintenance of the hardware and software of IT systems for the Saga cruise business
The role holder will be expected to manage the delivery of complex transformational and hygiene based IT requirements across all shipping systems ensuring they are managed in line with industry best practice for information security, resilience and stability that is required to deliver exceptional service to the customers of Saga Shipping.
The role is expected to have a broad technical capability as well as proven experience ins supporting systems onboard cruise ships and those used within the cruise industry. The role also has an expectation for local and international travel as and when needed.
The professional skills required for this role are:
Information Security [SCTY] – level 3
Communicates information security risks and issues to business managers and others. Performs basic risk assessments for small information systems. Contributes to vulnerability assessments. Applies and maintains specific security controls as required by organisational policy and local risk assessments. Takes action to respond to security breaches in line with security policy and records the incidents and action taken.
Continuity management [COPL] – level 4
Provides input to the service continuity planning process and implements resulting plans.
Change management [CHMG] – level 3
Develops, documents and implements changes based on requests for change. Applies change control procedures.
System software [SYSP] – level 3
Uses system management software and tools to collect agreed performance statistics. Carries out agreed system software maintenance tasks.
Capacity management [CPMG] – level 4
Monitors service component capacity and initiates actions to resolve any shortfalls according to agreed procedures. Applies techniques to control the demand upon a particular resource or service.
Security administration [SCAD] – level 2
Receives and responds to routine requests for security support. Maintains records and advises relevant persons of actions taken. Assists in the investigation and resolution of issues relating to access controls and security systems.
IT Infrastructure [ITOP] – level 3
Carries out agreed operational procedures, including network configuration, installation and maintenance. Uses network management tools to collect and report on network load and performance statistics. Contributes to the implementation of maintenance and installation work. Uses standard procedures and tools to carry out defined system backups, restoring data where necessary. Identifies operational problems and contributes to their resolution.
Storage management [STMG] – level 3
Performs regular high-performance, scalable backups and restores on a schedule and tracks offsite storage. Carries out documented configuration for allocation of storage, installation and maintenance of secure storage systems as per the agreed operational procedure (e.g. using replication software to allow resilience). Identifies operational problems and contributes to their resolution (e.g. monitoring SAN for disk failures and replacing). Uses standard management and reporting tools to collect and report on storage utilisation, performance and backup statistics.
Problem management [PBMG] – level 3
Investigates problems in systems, processes and services. Assists with the implementation of agreed remedies and preventative measures.
Incident management [USUP] – level 4
Prioritises and diagnoses incidents according to agreed procedures. Investigates causes of incidents and seeks resolution. Escalates unresolved incidents. Facilitates recovery, following resolution of incidents. Documents and closes resolved incidents according to agreed procedures.
* To help define and implement pro-active robust and SLA-based system monitoring and support processes that are critical to the Saga cruising systems both on and off shore. These should include (not exhaustive): Critical incident response, fault review and prioritisation, third party interfaces, third party supplier management, development handover.
* Specify and deliver effective and accurate system monitoring and MI processes.
* Pro-actively manage IT production systems risk in line with the Saga Group Risk Framework.
* To actively contribute and manage the IT systems risk register IT operations audit issue resolution.
* Develop and maintain a robust process for the transition of systems and projects into production ensuring that
* Help to lead the process to resolve critical production issues through to root-cause resolution.
* Review IT marketplace to pro-actively identify tools or techniques that can deliver improvements to the Saga IT architecture.
* To construct and present business cases, select suppliers and third-party tool sets, aggressively negotiate contracts and ensure delivery in line with business case.
* To manage system improvement projects through to successful implementation.
* To effectively work alongside other Saga group IT teams and resources including third parties and suppliers, always maintaining an excellent level of service and ensuring project delivery to budget and time.
* To undertake any other duties assigned by your senior manager.
The scope of this role includes the following technologies (Shipping)
* Proven experience of shipping systems used both on shore and on the cruise ships.
* Operating systems: Windows Server and Windows desktop,
* Directory services: Active Directory, LDAP
* Virtualisation: high availability and disaster recovery, failover clustering in Windows Server/VMware Environment.
* Monitoring systems
* Vulnerability management tools: Nessus, Shavlik, WSUS
* Networking technologies: DNS, DHCP, IPv4, IPv6, L2/L3 TCP/IP, Protocols including HTTP/HTTPS, NTP, SFTP, RDP, LDAP
* Backup systems: TSM, Commvault
* Scripting: PowerShell, Bash for Linux
* At least 2 years working in an infrastructure related role within a corporate environment.
* Basic level of awareness of the ITIL service management processes including incident, problem and change management.
* Educated to GCSE or equivalent
* Industry recognised, associate level qualification (e.g. MCP, VCP, RHCSA) or equivalent
* Self-motivated, able to manage own workload effectively.
* Maintains a professional approach when working on day-to-day activities.
* Good written & verbal skills.
* Able to work methodically under pressure.
* Good analytical skills, able to use data to determine cause of incidents, and able to act on this data to resolve incidents.
* Good customer service skills. Able to maintain a good rapport with customers, ensuring timely updates around incident diagnosis or project activities.
* Flexible approach, able to react to changing situations. Often volunteers to take part in work out of normal office hours.
* Good understanding of the Saga business, its products and customers.
* Good time management and organisation skills. Regularly manages the completion of tasks on time with some intervention from the manager.
* Positive attitude that supports confidence, respect and support from other team members.
* Able to work with other IT teams effectively.
There will be project work to complete, which should be done in a professional manner.
The duties listed are not exhaustive. Additional hours of work may be required, as determined by the needs of the business. Managers and staff may be required to undertake additional duties, responsibilities and projects as appropriate.
To all recruitment agencies: Saga does not accept agency CVs unless specifically engaged on the role by the HR Recruitment Team. Please do not forward CVs to our recruiters, employees or any other company location. Saga is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited CVs.