5 months ago
It’s easy to misunderstand what Nationwide is like. Why? Because we’re not like a bank. We’re not like other financial services companies either. As a Performance and Availability Engineer here, you’ll sit within a growing delivery team optimising user experience. Working across the full spectrum of our digital estate – from revolutionising open banking, to building leading apps, you’ll be making it all possible.
Who we're looking for
You. We hope, anyway. We are looking for experienced Performance and Availability Engineers to join the team, assisting Nationwide’s development teams in the creation of highly performant and resilient systems.
You should have demonstrable experience in…
• Carrying out performance and resilience related architecture and design activities
• Performance tuning complex applications
• Defining performance and resilience non-functional requirements
• Carrying out design and code reviews
• Performance modelling
• Conducting live incident support
• Contributing to capacity estimation
• Experience of working in multi-tier architectures involving microservices, ESBs etc.
We have a wide array of technology stacks at Nationwide but if you have experience in any of the following it would be beneficial… IBM IIB, IBM MQ, Kafka, full Microsoft stack, RedHat OpenShift / Kubernetes, DB2, Cassandra, SQL Server etc..
What you'll be doing
You will be involved from the design phase of projects onwards, providing specialist assistance in defining the technical architecture of the system from a performance and resilience point of view, right through to hands on system optimisation as well as being able to provide consultancy and define and embed best practice across the organisation.
• Providing consultancy in the early lifecycle/architecture
• Authoring performance and availability Design Patterns and Guidelines
• Engagement with programmes & projects with a significant performance element, accountable for end to end performance and resilience of the solution
• Accountable for detailed performance and resilience non-functional requirements
• Accountable for performance and resilience elements of all design work
• Carrying out performance and availability design reviews
• Carrying out performance and availability modelling
• Carrying out performance and availability code reviews
• Carrying out performance and availability tuning
• Understanding the business impact of technical problems and be comfortable making risk assessments.
• Proactively contributing to the evolution of performance and availability engineering within Nationwide.