3 months ago
Senior Product Manager - E-commerce
The Economist Group logo
Senior Product Manager - E-commerce
The Economist is the leading source of analysis on international business and world affairs. We deliver our information through a range of formats, from newspapers and magazines to Apple TV/OTT apps and VR Experiences. What ties us together is the objectivity of our opinion, the originality of our insight and our advocacy of economic and political freedom around the world.
With a growing global circulation and a reputation for insightful analysis and opinion on every aspect of world events, The Economist is one of the most widely recognised and well-read current affairs publications.
The Economist’s Publisher Team was created in April to streamline the commercial decision making process and make sure all needs are reviewed and prioritised based on business impact. As a result, everyone has access to world-class expertise in strategy, marketing, finance, analytics and product delivery, as do our clients. Our aim is to support readership growth, which underpins all our revenue streams and our future.
Do you care about building the right thing more than building the thing right? Do you care about solving problems for users more than using the latest technologies or following the latest trends? Do you want to serve a clear business strategy by solving those problems?
If so you might be a good fit for The Economist’s product management team.
A strategic, inspirational and adaptable product manager is wanted who will report directly to the Head of Digital Innovation. You will have the opportunity to improve the conversion rate once the customer starts the purchase flow. You will also lead the process in allowing users to manage their subscriptions and account details online, setting and executing a clear product strategy for your product based on the needs of the business, while meeting the needs of its end users. You will need to evangelise that strategy throughout the organisation.
As the Senior Product Manager within the Commercial Product team you will mentor more inexperienced members of the team - and ensure that we take a holistic approach to improving our customers’ subscription experience across all of our digital products.
You will also have the opportunity to communicate with and respond to the needs of stakeholders in commercial, editorial and technology, without losing focus of your product strategy. You should be able to form hypotheses about what will benefit the business and the users based on the knowledge and ideas of yourself, the team and the wider stakeholders. You will use the results of data analytics and qualitative user research to test those hypotheses, revising or dropping them as the evidence suggests.
How you will contribute:
* Develop a product vision that meets the needs of the business while solving problems for users
* Optimise the eCommerce flow to acquire new and retain existing subscribers
* Enhance the self service area to allow customers to manage their account and subscriptions in their own time
* Optimise the single sign on experience
* Evangelise the product vision to the technical team, immediate stakeholders and organisational executives
* Collaborate and communicate with stakeholders with a firm but fair attitude
* Own the product roadmap, ensuring it balances short terms needs with strategic vision
* Mentor and pair with more junior members of the team
Experience, skills and professional attributes
The ideal skills for this role are:
* Excellence in product management, ideally with a strategic / business analysis approach
* Must be comfortable with ambiguity and understand that they are there to help define the way forward / what success looks like and communicate it
* Able to understand and prioritise technical debt / tactical work and communicate why this is important to deliver to business stakeholders.
* Demonstrable experience working with cross-functional development teams
* Data driven - uses data and metrics to set experiments, prioritise and measure success
* Ability to prioritise the backlog and clearly articulate acceptance criteria
* Excellent stakeholder management skills, sometimes demanding with conflicting requirements and priorities (includes protecting the team from outside influences)
* Actively engages with the wider product community / understands & contributes to ongoing community
* Experience of mentoring more junior product managers
Further desirable competencies:
* Pragmatist, understands how to deliver on their vision incrementally/strategically.
* Ability to think at macro and micro levels
* Articulate and clear communicator, be able to translate between engineering and business stakeholders
* Commercially minded, have a deep understanding what drives our business
Apply for this job onlineApply
Email this job to a friendRefer
Sorry the Share function is not working properly at this moment. Please refresh the page and try again later.
Share on your newsfeed
If this role matches your skills, experience and motivations then please submit your CV with a covering note identifying why you feel you would be a great addition to the team along with your salary expectations.
In return, we provide a supportive and progressive environment with a wide range of opportunities for you to grow both personally and professionally.
The Economist Group values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, colour, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age.
Software Powered by iCIMS