3 months ago
Senior Writer, Girl Talk
Overall Job Purpose
We're looking for a Senior Writer to work across our pre-teen magazines, which includes Girl Talk, Girl Talk Art, TOTP, Mega and LEGO titles. Directed by the Deputy Editor to research, originate, arrange and write creative, polished, interesting and entertaining features. You'll ensure that all copy meets the highest standards and is appropriately targeted to our readership and conforms to the style of the magazines. Additionally, you'll ensure your copy maintains appropriate house and brand styles across the titles. An ability to film and edit video content for Girl Talk World, Girl Talk’s YouTube channel is also desirable.
* Research and write lively and age appropriate activities/features for pages, including headings and intro copy, in-line with the magazine style and completed to deadlines.
* To liaise with schedulers, programme makers, production staff and talent to ensure that magazine content is current and relevant.
* Create crafts at a professional standard for Girl Talk Art magazine and YouTube.
* Attend functions to represent the magazines as directed by the senior team, often after work or at weekends.
* Interview celebrities, children, or other members of the public as required.
* Originate feature/activity ideas and research possibilities for future issues.
* Commission text and artwork when necessary.
* Help source props and create makes for photo shoots.
* Assist the editorial team at photo shoots.
* Keep up to date with new films, programmes and trends which are relevant to the magazines.
* Attend planning meetings to contribute ideas and opinions and to discuss content and format of issues.
* Check copy for grammar and spelling, facts, legal issues and to maintain the highest standards accuracy.
* Where necessary, call in and chase scheduling information, billing information, copy from freelance contributors and handle raw copy. Create inventive headlines and standfirsts when necessary. Check picture credits and contact details etc.
* With the Production Editor, control approval chasing for marketing and brand pages.
* Stand in for the Deputy Editor when required to do so.
* Working across our social media channels, including presenting on Girl Talk World, the Girl Talk YouTube channel.
Knowledge, Experience & Competencies
* Must have significant experience as a Senior Writer or Writer of the children’s/teen market
* Proven knowledge of the pre-teen market.
* Demonstrate a clear understanding of our readers, how they use children’s magazines and apps and how they absorb information.
* Ability to create craft at a suitable standard for Girl Talk Art magazine.
* Knowledge of the children’s media market in all its forms, film, TV, gaming, apps content.
* Proven track record of contributing ideas, communicating and motivating.
* Must be familiar with the production process from start to finish.
* Knowledge of media law is desirable.
* Experience of managing/mentoring junior members of staff is desirable