7 months ago
The role of the Smartphones, tablets and computing editor is to ensure that Stuff’s coverage of these products is up to the minute (or even slightly before it), beautifully written and, most crucially, present and correct.
The idea is that you will own the space when it comes to smartphones, tablets and computers - covering the big products as they’re announced in Hot Stuff, then reviewing and doing features when you get your hands on them.
You will write smartphones, tablet and computing content yourself and commission freelancers, ensuring that it is always delivering on the distinctive Stuff tone and offering multiple entry points. Your day will be structured around producing one Hot Stuff, preview update, standalone social video (or similar) or news-based feature in the morning, moving on to a feature or review in the afternoon. You will work with the Online Editor to deliver on these aims.
You will also be out in the market, forging relationships that win Stuff stories that our rivals don’t get. This will be with both contacts in the industry, and freelancers that we can use for features content. It’s your job, ultimately, to ensure our smartphones, tablets and computing coverage is better than the competition’s.
* Manage smartphones, tablets and computing content online
* Plan news/Hot Stuffs, features and reviews content to be shared with the online and magazine editors
* Keep Top 10s regularly updated for every new review
* Ensuring magazine needs are served by online content; working with the magazine editor to commission and produce magazine-led reviews and features as necessary, to a maximum of one per three months (average) (See details below)
* Writing news/Hot Stuffs, reviews and features for online (5 Hot Stuffs/News and 5 reviews/feats per week)
* Yearly total of 225 Hot Stuffs, 225 reviews / features per year
* Commissioning reviews and features for online
* Forging relationships with key contacts
* Attending press launches and trade shows as required
* Staying abreast of the latest trends and launches to influence your content
* Monitoring analytics and acting on findings
* Commission, edit and publish online one ‘mag-first’ feature or review to a maximum of one every three months. You would be required to ensure all copy, including mag-only panels, was on the server by the date set by production.
* Commission, edit and publish online one ‘mag-required’ feature each month. This could be a How to Master, or a Tip & Tricks and Ultimate Setup. Taking the online copy and putting it into mag format would not be part of your role.
Apply for this job