6 months ago
Applications will close at 11:59pm GMT on 18th January 2019 for an October 2019 start.
For any questions, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
* B grade at A-Level or equivalent qualification in one or more subjects in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics).
* Coding experience in any programming language.
* Authorization to work in the United Kingdom.
* Ability to speak and write in English fluently and idiomatically.
* Ability to work independently and within a team framework.
* Effective communication and organizational skills, proactive, self-motivated, positive attitude, and strong problem solving capabilities.
* Willingness to navigate ambiguous tasks, find suitable solutions and seek help/advice where appropriate.
* Enthusiasm and passion for new technologies, demonstrated through personal projects and commitment to learning new skills.
About the job
Higher Level Apprenticeship in Software Development with Google UK
As an Apprentice at Google, you will be part of the Higher Level Apprenticeship in Digital Innovation Program launched in 2016, which will help develop the skills you need to become a Software Developer.
You'll join a team at Google and will be assigned to a manager for the duration of your 2-year apprenticeship. You will start training in October with our academic partner Ada, the National College of Digital Skills, for 8 weeks. After completing your initial training which will set you up for success in your onsite experience, you will spend 20% of your time training with Ada, based in Whitechapel. You will be studying towards a Foundation Degree in Digital Innovation accredited by the Open University and gain the skills you need to build your expertise and establish yourself as a digital professional.
While onsite, you'll have the opportunity to work alongside a team of Googlers (yes, that’s people working at Google!) to solve real life problems. You will get exposure to a range of different roles across the company including coding, development, testing and project management. Additionally, you will learn how to apply problem solving skills to tackle real life challenges, pick up new technical skills such as programming in multiple languages, learn about software testing and other industry practices and see how software is designed and developed.
To apply, please follow the instructions below. To have a complete application, you will need a CV or resume, letter of recommendation and a cover letter.
STEP 1 - Prepare the following documents to complete your application:
* Current CV or resume combined with the following items to create one PDF attachment:
* Reference letter from someone who is familiar with a project you have worked on relating to Computer Science/STEM fields.
* List the grades you achieved in topics related to Maths, Science or Computing/IT. Only students with a B grade at A-Level or equivalent qualification in one or more subjects in STEM will be considered for this apprenticeship. Final grades and eligibility will be verified prior to the start date.
* List any projects that you have been involved in or started that prove your suitability or passion for the role.
* Let us know how you heard about this apprenticeship role. (Note: this information will be used in aggregate and will not be considered as part of your application)
* Cover letter explaining your interest in applying to be an apprentice at Google.
STEP 2 - Click on the “Apply” button on this page to provide the above required materials in the appropriate sections:
* In the “Resume Section:” attach your current CV or resume combined with the above items to create one PDF attachment.
* **This section is mandatory for the program even though it is optional, as noted on the website, for other jobs at Google.**
Google is and always will be an engineering company. We hire people with a broad set of technical skills who are ready to address some of technology's greatest challenges and make an impact on millions, if not billions, of users. At Google, engineers not only revolutionize search, they routinely work on massive scalability and storage solutions, large-scale applications and entirely new platforms for developers around the world. From Google Ads to Chrome, Android to YouTube, Social to Local, Google engineers are changing the world one technological achievement after another.
* Support your team in the development of software based on agreed projects and platforms.
* Follow application and component level design working to standards and patterns agreed by the team leads.
* Follow coding standards and ensure compliance with quality measures.
* Ensure code is tested in accordance with the guidelines provided by the team or your host.
* Undertake training and follow mentoring as specified.