5 months ago
Specialist Business Analyst
London, Ipswich, Bristol
Our purpose is to use the power of communications to make a better world. For each other, for our customers, for society and our communities. We need you to help us do this.
Why this role matters
We’ve always been an organisation with purpose; to use the power of communications to make a better world. You can trace this back to our beginning as pioneers of the world’s first telecommunications company. At our heart we’re a technology company with research and innovation in our bones and a desire to be personal, simple, and brilliant for our customers - those are the values we live by whilst also creating an inclusive working environment where people from all backgrounds can succeed.
Our pursuit of progress over the past 180 years has established BT as a strong, successful brand, with huge scale capable of achieving great things. From supporting emergency services, hospitals, banks and keeping economies around the world online, safe and secure, to delivering large scale technology infrastructure like the creation of BT Sport.
Today in this fast changing, always on, digital world our purpose remains true. Yet the market conditions, regulation and competition we face are tougher than ever before. So if you have the drive, optimism and resilience to help propel us forward we’ll offer unrivalled personal development, a wealth of opportunities to learn, experience new things and pursue new careers. If that’s you and what you’re looking for, we’d love you to be part of our future.
At BT, we are investing heavily in technology to provide both great services to our customers and drive internal efficiencies for our commercial and operational areas. To help us with this, we are looking for an experienced Business Analyst with a good knowledge of delivery through IT Architecture to join us to develop, and then drive BT’s Enterprise architecture.
What you'll be doing
• This is a broad Business Analyst role linked to the IT architecture that supports mobile and Fixed Networks. You will have a broad knowledge being deep in some areas, the ability to learn quickly and adapt are key to this role
• Supporting the definition of solution(s) for complex business problems, based on an in-depth analysis and detailed understanding of the subject area, including People, Processes and Systems.
• Ensuring that the solution(s) enable the creation of simple and agile architectures that drive clear business value and re-use pan-BT whilst removing cost and legacy from the landscape
• Contributing to the realisable capability based roadmaps spanning a 5 year horizon
• Use Business Analysis to liase with stakeholders to understand the structure, policies and operations, and recommend solutions that enable the organisation to achieve its goals.
• Supporting business case development of signature ready vehicles that deliver timely, fit for purpose strategic transformations in business capability to senior stakeholders, using Business Architecture.
• Inputting and supporting the creation of an IT strategy owned by the Chief IT Architect
• Promoting, evangelising and agreeing the IT strategy and Business Architecture across all teams and ensuring there is consensus and understanding across the business Leadership
• Collaborating and specifying the organisation's vision, goals, opportunities and related activities in order to maximize the business benefits of Business Architecture initiatives to the organisation. This would cover all lines of business and covers all key customer journeys
• Working with the innovation community across BT including BT Applied research, technical specialists, CIO, analysts and partners to develop an awareness of, and learn the potential and maturity of technology innovation for BT
• Ensuring that BT Business Architecture, methods, standards and best practices are maintained within your area
• Ensuring BT remains compliant to Legal, Regulatory and Security requirements
• Ensure Business Analyst deliverables are fit for purpose and provide an effective and timely tool to guide downstream decisions on IT Architecture
• Supporting review of budgets and project portfolio investment roadmaps to ensure alignment with Business and Enterprise Architectures and the fitness for purpose of the IT strategy. Support reality-checkpoint review of roadmaps across and within LoB - considering dependencies, pipeline capacity or resourcing constraints
Connected leaders behaviours
• Solution Focused Achiever: Being a Solution-focused Achiever means that you always deliver your ambitious goals, outcomes and timelines. It also means that you cut through complexity and obstacles to get to the right ethical solution at the right time.
• Bold Decision-maker: Being a Bold Decision-maker means that you use the right blend of analysis, intuition and experience to break down problems and reach your decisions.
• Change Agent: Being a Change Agent means that you identify, create and lead smooth business changes. It also means that you adapt quickly and perform effectively – even when there’s ambiguity
• You will be expected to make recommendations for business analyst decisions, this may include decisions on maturing business capabilities, operational / organisational direction, IT direction or funding priority to enable BT to achieve its goals.
We'll also need to see these on your CV
Qualifications and General skills
• STEM related Bachelor's degree or a related study, or equivalent experience
• Customer focused: You will understand customer (internal and external) needs and keep customer satisfaction at the forefront of your work
• Digital business literacy including understanding business models, ecosystems and business model innovation. Understanding of Lean start-up and agile methods and their implications for Business and Enterprise Architecture
• Good understanding of strategic and new and emerging technology trends, and the practical application of existing, new and emerging technologies to new and evolving business and operating models
• Technology neutral; remains unbiased towards any specific technology or vendor choice. Displays intellectual curiosity and integrity
Enterprise and Business Architecture
• Captures and prioritises market and environmental trends, business strategies and objectives, and identifies the business benefits of alternative strategies. Establishes the contribution that technology can make to business objectives, conducting feasibility studies, producing high-level business models, and preparing business cases
• Supports the creation and review of a target business capability model that meets the strategic requirements of the business. Develops enterprise-wide architecture and processes that ensure that the strategic application of change is embedded in the management of the organisation, ensuring the buy-in of all stakeholders.
• Supports the development and presentation of business cases, for high-level initiatives, for approval, funding and prioritisation. Ensures compliance between business strategies, enterprise transformation activities and technology directions, setting strategies, policies, standards and practices
IT strategy and planning
• Ensures that all stakeholders adhere to IT strategic management approach and timetables. Collates information and creates reports and insights to support IT strategic management processes. Develops and communicates plans to drive forward the strategy. Contributes to the development of policies, standards and guidelines for IT strategy development and planning
• Identifies the communications needs of each stakeholder group in conjunction with business owners and subject matter experts. Translates communications / stakeholder engagement strategies into specific tasks. Facilitates open communication and discussion between stakeholders, acting as a single point of contact by developing, maintaining and working to stakeholder engagement strategies and plans. (For example, may oversee the organisation's promotional/selling activities to one or more clients, to ensure that such activities are aligned with corporate marketing objectives). Negotiates with stakeholders at senior levels, ensuring that organisational policy and strategies are adhered to. Provides informed feedback to assess and promote understanding
Experience you would be expected to have
• Experience as an Business Analyst, working closely with IT architects in a large corporate organisation. Evidence of leading material business and IT change through Business Analysis.
• Understand, identify and provide key financial metrics to support and deliver transformational change.
• Experience of Enterprise Architecture Frameworks including TOGAF, and their relevance to the practice of Business and Enterprise Architecture. TOGAF certification not essential
• A technical background in IT software delivery or design which allows you to understand and make recommendations on how to optimise BT Software Estate, whilst giving technical teams confidence that you understand the problem or opportunity
• A broad range of business, data, systems and technology architecture experience
• Experience in breaking problems down, creating options and assessing feasibility.
• Experience of producing business cases, gaining approval from senior stakeholders and ensuring delivery of business benefits
Why choose us?
We are in an incredibly competitive industry and it’s not just the technology that’s important, but the world of promise it creates for our customers. We live and work in a connected world where people want seamless service, great products and the best connectivity there is, as well as continually expecting more and more from us, and rightly so. Technology is BT’s powerhouse, with our expert technologists, we have a unique position in BT. By bringing together our technical and commercial expertise, and our insight and passion for customer experience, we help BT stand out from the competition. With the best networks and smart innovative products, combined with a personal experience, it sets us apart from the pack.
Innovation drives everything we’ve done since BT started in 1846. Coming up with new ideas and developing new technologies is central to our future. We want to improve people’s lives for the better in welcome, relevant and affordable ways and we’ll be fast to market with an effortless experience to match. We will continue to focus on developing our converged network capabilities which will give customers seamless connectivity. Our skilled people will lead this technological revolution, not only for our customers but for the industry across the Globe, truly making customers our heartbeat.
We value different perspectives, skills and experiences. We’re creating an inclusive working culture where people from all backgrounds can succeed. That’s why we welcome applications from all parts of the community.