3 months ago
To generate a variety of content including news, features and guides on EST hours across GamesRadar+, reporting directly to the Senior News Editor and under the guidance of the Global Editor in Chief. The role will be primarily focused on news generation, helping to decide what makes a great GR+ story, in line with the brand’s wider strategy. You’ll have an instinct for what brings audience to our website, and be willing to engage with data to shape your workflow and drive the site to further success.
You’ll also help generate feature ideas that can be executed by the global team, and assist with any aspect of gamesradar.com that requires your expertise. You’ll uncover great stories before rival sites, using a variety of sources. You’ll be able to demonstrate experience of doing this in a past news writer or editor role.
Key role responsibilities
* Creating news and features for gamesradar.com to meet our high standards.
* Monitoring of our key subject areas across games including PS4, Xbox, Nintendo and PC to respond to our audience’s needs.
* Promoting news and features through gamesradar.com’s social media channels and optimising stories for SEO.
* Developing industry contacts that’ll yield stories in the future, whether for cool indie games or big blockbusters.
* Attending industry trade shows and press events on our behalf.
* Generating engaging, inventive feature ideas for the website.
* Updates of key SEO features and ‘Best List’ features.
* Reviewing new releases when required.
* Helping to grow the profile and prestige of GR+ in North America, working closely with the Senior News Editor.
Requirements of the role
* Prepared to travel internationally.
* Some after hours work required.
* Working in our New York office is preferred, but we will make exceptions for remote working with the right candidate.
Essential skills and experience
* 2+ years of consistent experience as a freelance news writer on a games website, or full-time experience as a writer in games media or a related field.
* A comprehensive understanding of how online news works in the current media environment, and how audiences discover news stories now.
* A demonstrable passion for console and PC gaming.
* A highly tuned affinity for the online audience, and what they are looking for.
* Strong organisational skills.
* Some background of developing contacts in games or a related industry.
* A flexible and adaptable team worker, preferably with experience of working remotely as part of a wider team.
Desirable skills and experience
* Interest in video and streaming.
* Interest in TV and movies.