6 months ago
You’ll be working with the TechRadar team in either the London or Bath offices, spending time in the lively and energetic space with the rest of the dedicated and passionate team members.
TechRadar is one of the top technology brands globally, offering authoritative, unique and independent advice to our readers in helping them find the technology they want to buy, and at the right price.
We have passion for the tech we write about – we test it thoroughly, learning the intricacies to make sure when we recommend something, we do it with the reader at the heart.
Our phones coverage has been a cornerstone of the growth of TechRadar for a decade, but there’s still a long way to go. So we want a brilliant writer to help us continue our world-renowned coverage and keep building on our strong global presence in the technology sphere, helping grow TechRadar into the number one brand worldwide for technology advice.
Job Summary & Purpose
Reporting to the Senior Phones Editor, you’ll be undertaking the important role of making sure TechRadar’s world class phones, tablets and wearables coverage is completed on time and to the high standard expected.
We’ll also expect you to have a strong understanding of all other topics in technology, able to turn your hand to writing news and reviews for other channels when asked.
We’re looking for a talented writer to help us keep our content fresh and exciting. As a key member of the TechRadar team, you’ll be developing new articles as well as maintaining and improving on existing ones. Outside of writing, we’ll also be looking for you to front some of our key video output, work with freelancers and attend important events where you’ll get hands on with the latest kit.
Key role responsibilities
* Writing: Your main focus will be for powering the excellent mobiles coverage that TechRadar is famed for. You’ll be writing news with a tight turnaround, reviewing the latest phones, wearables and tablets, delivering sharp opinion pieces and working to create excellent and informative hubs to help our readers find out everything they need to know about future products.
* Planning: responsible for delivering the content coverage within the vertical, both scheduled and reactive, while meeting the needs of the Senior Phones Editor and UK Editor-In-Chief.
* Commissioning: Helping the Senior Phones Editor come up with strong, tight commissions to ensure our freelancers create high-quality content within the agreed time period.
* Production of content: Ensure the content output runs smoothly and in line with agreed schedules and workflows and that articles are of the highest quality and based on good SEO practices.
* Fronting content: responsible for being the face of the vertical, including fronting written content and presenting video when required.
* Budget/Payments/Rights: Assisting the Senior Phones Editor in ensuring all budgets are adhered to when needed.
* Measurement: responsible for ensuring audience-related KPIs within the vertical are delivered, in conjunction with the Senior Phones Editor and the UK Editor-In-Chief.
Essential skills and experience
* Excellent understanding of SEO best practice and strong understanding of CMS usage.
* A strong understanding of the mobile sector, with an agnostic opinion of the landscape
* Experience working with PR contacts to increase breadth and network of coverage opportunities
* A strong idea of what makes an engaging, readable article
* News and reviews writing ability
* Strong verbal and written communication skills
* Team player who’s unafraid to share ideas in a positive manner
* Enjoys taking own initiative for the good of the site
* Skilled at delivering copy and content to tight daily deadlines
* Attention to detail
* Strong organisation and planning skills
* Able to work flexibly – switching tasks as required by line manager