4 months ago
Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) Manager
The Economist Group logo
Our digital products (currently our websites, apps, newsletters and audio editions) provide readers with a means to consume our digital content and as such, are significant drivers of profit.
Ensuring that our products, services and content are highly-discoverable and benefit from the best-possible organic rankings within the search engine environment, otherwise known as Search Engine Optimised, is increasingly and absolutely key to our success.
This role ensures that our digital products are SEO optimised. It is a complex task that can only be achieved when 1) the architecture of our products is such that they are recognised and prioritised by the indexing activities of search engines, 2) the relevant editorial teams understand the impact of the choices they make on our rankings, and 3) our marketing takes advantage of opportunities that exist to improve the discoverability of our content.
This role brings together a range of stakeholders to ensure that SEO is taken into proper account when we are making decisions about products, engineering, editorial and marketing, operating of course within the boundaries and beliefs of the organisation.
* Ensuring that our products, services and content benefit from the best-possible rankings within the search engine environment, consistent with the culture and mission of The Economist.
* Working in partnership with our product and engineering teams to ensure they are developing products that are best-in-class when it comes to being Search Engine optimised
* Working in partnership with relevant members of our editorial team to ensure they are fully informed about how the choices they make affect our rankings
* Working in partnership with our marketing teams to ensure they are fully aware of the impact that their activities may or may not be having on our SEO performance
How will you contribute?
* Be accountable for driving positive change in the extent to which our products, services and content are SEO’d
* Coordinate and manage cross-functional efforts to ensure we are SEO’d
* Articulate and shape the message that ensures our colleagues truly understand the importance and value of SEO
* Manage marketing agencies and marketing campaigns that we enter into to improve our rankings, including responsibility for the effective use of spend
* Liaise with colleagues on the paid marketing team, to ensure our activities in the Paid Search arena are inline with our efforts to improve our organic rankings
* Conduct research on our competitors’ efforts to ensure they are SEO’d
* Timely and effective reporting of key performance indicators
Experience, skills and professional attributes
Ideal skills for this role are:
* Understands the commercial drivers of a publishing business
* Has a deep understanding of SEO and its importance across a range of functions
* Analytical, measured, data-led approach on recommendations
* Excellent stakeholder management capabilities
* Understands the ‘church and state’ relationship between editorial and commercial teams. Excellent stakeholder management skills, being especially understanding of the ways in which our editorial and commercial teams work together and collaborate
* Extensive product knowledge that will ensure they are respected by our product managers and developers
* Team player who believes in the value of collaboration, is able to operate effectively within a matrix structure and is comfortable operating within an environment of change
* Deep knowledge of SEO
* Comfortable with working within a matrix structure and collaborating
Apply for this job onlineApply
Email this job to a friendRefer
Sorry the Share function is not working properly at this moment. Please refresh the page and try again later.
Share on your newsfeed
If this role matches your skills, experience and motivations then please submit your CV with a covering note identifying why you feel you would be a great addition to the team along with your salary expectations.
In return, we provide a supportive and progressive environment with a wide range of opportunities for you to grow both personally and professionally.
The Economist Group values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, colour, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age.
Software Powered by iCIMS